• Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

• Post Thanks / Like

have a grudge/hold a grudge/nurse a grudge/bear someone a grudge/owe someone a grudge

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your opinion concerning the following sentences?

1. Torn nursed a grudge against John because John took his place on the basketball team.
    2. Come on, John, be a good sport and don't bear a grudge because I beat you at golf.
    3. Grudge not one against another!
    4. Esau had conceived a mortal grudge and enmity against his brother Jacob.
    5. Don’t grudge him his success.
    6. I bear him no grudge.
    7. I have no grudge against him.
    8. He has a grudge against me.
    9. He admitted grudgingly that I was right.
    10. I did not grudge him the time I spent on him.
    11. Most soldiers will tell you that 'war was war ' and bore no personal grudge against any person or individual on the other side .
    12. I bore a personal grudge against these things.
    13. There was some speculation in the media that Putin bore a personal grudge against Saakashvili.
    14. I hold no grudge against the eels.
    15. Do you think he's the type to hold a grudge?

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Last edited by vil; 13-Jul-2009 at 14:58.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: have a grudge/hold a grudge/nurse a grudge/bear someone a grudge/owe someone a gr

My thoughts in red in your text:

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me your opinion concerning the following sentences?

1. Torn nursed a grudge against John because John took his place on the basketball team. OK
    2. Come on, John, be a good sport and don't bear a grudge because I beat you at golf. OK
    3. Grudge not one against another! Not OK. Grudge is being used as a verb here.
    4. Esau had conceived a mortal grudge and enmity against his brother Jacob. OK, if a little old-fashioned
    5. Donít grudge him his success. Colloquial - would be better as "Don't begrudge him his success"
    6. I bear him no grudge. OK
    7. I have no grudge against him. OK
    8. He has a grudge against me. OK
    9. He admitted grudgingly that I was right.
    10. I did not grudge him the time I spent on him. again, consider using "begrudge"
    11. Most soldiers will tell you that 'war was war ' and bore no personal grudge against any person or individual on the other side . OK
    12. I bore a personal grudge against these things. OK-ish, though a grudge is normally borne against a person, not against things.
    13. There was some speculation in the media that Putin bore a personal grudge against Saakashvili. OK
    14. I hold no grudge against the eels. again, usually held against a person, rather than creatures or things.
    15. Do you think he's the type to hold a grudge? OK

Thank you for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Hope that helps,

jeremy (not a Teacher)