English Idioms & Idiomatic Expressions
results for letter 'D
- Drop someone a line
- If you drop someone a line, you send a letter to them.
- Drop the ball
- If someone drops the ball, they are not doing their job or taking their responsibilities seriously enough and let something go wrong.
- Dropped like a hot cake
- If something is dropped like a hot cake, it is rejected or disposed of very quickly.
- Drown your sorrows
- If someone gets drunk or drinks a lot to try to stop feeling unhappy, they drown their sorrows.
- Drunk as a lord
- (UK) Someone who is very drunk is as drunk as a lord.
- Drunker than a peach orchard boar
- (USA) Southern US expression - Very drunk, as when a boar would eat fermented peaches that have fallen from the tree.
- Dry as a bone
- If your lawn is as dry as a bone, the soil is completely dry.
- Dry as a wooden god
- (AU) Very dry area or very thirsty: That desert is as dry as a wooden god.
- Dry as dust
- Very dry. Often used metaphorically: a boring, literal person or an unexciting speech. "She knows her stuff but she's dry as dust."
- Dry as snuff
- If something is as dry as snuff, it is very dry indeed.
- Dry run
- A dry run is a full rehearsal or trial exercise of something to see how it will work before it is launched.
- Dry spell
- If something or someone is having a dry spell, they aren't being as successful as they normally are.
- Duck soup
- (USA) If something is duck soup, it is very easy.
- Duck to water
- If you take to something like a duck to water, you find when you start that you have a natural affinity for it.
- Ducks in a row
- (USA) If you have your ducks in a row, you are well-organized.
- Dull as ditchwater
- (UK) If something is as dull as ditchwater, it is incredibly boring. A ditch is a long narrow hole or trench dug to contain water, which is normally a dark, dirty colour and stagnant (when water turns a funny colour and starts to smell bad). (In American English,'things are 'dull as dishwater'.)
- Dumb as a post
- Someone's who's as dumb as a post is very stupid, like a fencepost.
- Dumb as a rock
- If you are dumb as a rock, you have no common sense and are stupid.
- Dunkirk spirit
- (UK) Dunkirk spirit is when people pull together to get through a very difficult time.
- Dutch auction
- If something is sold by setting a price, then reducing it until someone buys it, it is sold in a Dutch auction. It can also mean that something is changed until it is accepted by everyone.
- Dutch courage
- Dutch courage is the reckless bravery caused by drinking too much.
- Dutch treat
- If something like a meal is a Dutch treat, then each person pays their own share of the bill.
- Dutch uncle
- A Dutch uncle is a person who gives unwelcome advice.
- Dutch wife
- A Dutch wife is a long pillow or a hot water bottle.
- Dwell on the past
- Thinking too much about the past, so that it becomes a problem is to dwell on the past.
- If someone is a dyed-in-the-wool supporter of a political party, etc, they support them totally, without any questions.
If you have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms Discussion Forum. If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please use our online form to suggest an idiom.
Members Get More
- Sign up for free and gain access to many more idioms and slang expressions. Register now