English Idioms & Idiomatic Expressions
results for letter 'H
- How the hog ate the cabbage
- (USA) If you tell someone how the hog ate the cabbage, it means you tell it like it is- tell someone the truth that they probably don't want to hear.
- How's tricks?
- This is used as a way of asking people how they are and how things have been going in their life.
- Hue and cry
- Hue and cry is an expression that used to mean all the people who joined in chasing a criminal or villain. Nowadays, if you do something without hue and cry, you do it discreetly and without drawing attention.
- Humming and harring
- If someone is humming and harring,they are unsure about a decision and can't nake their mind up.
- Hung the moon
- If you refer to someone as having hung the moon, you think they are extremely wonderful, or amazing, or good.
- Hungry as a bear
- If you are hungry as a bear, it means that you are really hungry.
- Hunky Dory
- If something is hunky dory, it is perfectly satisfactory, fine.
- If something is hush-hush it is confidential.
If you have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms Discussion Forum. If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please use our online form to suggest an idiom.
Members Get More
- Sign up for free and gain access to many more idioms and slang expressions. Register now