English Idioms & Idiomatic Expressions
results for letter 'L
- Lose your gourd
- If someone has lost the gourd, they are out of the mind or have gone crazy- "gourd" is a melon-like plant that symbolizes a person's head. ("Out of your gourd" and "Off your gourd" are also used.)
- Lose your head
- If you lose your head, you cannot control your emotions and actions.
- Lose your lunch
- (UK) If you lose your lunch, you vomit.
- Lose your marbles
- If someone has lost their marbles, they've gone mad.
- Lose your rag
- Is someone loses their rag, they are very angry about something.
- Lose your shirt
- If someone loses their shirt, they lose all their money through a bad investment, gambling, etc.
- Love begets love
- If you behave lovingly to another person, that person will behave lovingly to you.
- Love is blind
- If you love someone, it doesn't matter what they look like. You will also overlook faults.
- Love me, love my dog
- If you love someone, you should accept everything about them and the people they like.
- Love you and leave you
- Love you and leave you is used to say that you must leave, although you would like to stay longer.
- Low-hanging fruit
- Low-hanging fruit are things that are easily achieved.
- Lower than a snake's belly
- Someone or something that is lower than a snake's belly is of a very low moral standing.
- Lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut
- (USA) If someone or something is lower than a snake's belly in a wagon rut, they are of low moral standing because a snake's belly is low and if the snake is in a wagon rut, it is really low.
- Lower the bar
- If people change the standards required to make things easier, they lower the bar.
- Lower your sights
- If you lower your sights, you accept something that is less than you were hoping for.
- Luck of the draw
- To have the 'Luck of the draw' is to win something in a competition where the winner is chosen purely by chance.
If you have a question about idioms, ask us about it in our Idioms Discussion Forum. If you know of an idiom that you would like to be listed here, please use our online form to suggest an idiom.
Members Get More
- Sign up for free and gain access to many more idioms and slang expressions. Register now