Results for 'as'
- Length: 2 characters
- Syllables: 1
Results for word: as
- SUCH AS means 'for example'
- One of the 220 words in the Dolch high frequency list
- One of the 850 words in Basic English
- In the top 2,000 words in the Brown Corpus
- Common word- this is one of the thousand words most frequently used in English.
- Idiom used in GMAT
- A list of about 3,000 words defined as easy for the Dale-Chall Readability Formula
- A conjunction joins words or, more frequently, phrases and clauses
- SINCE and AS can be used as synonyms of BECAUSE
- We use AS IF rather than LIKE before a verb.
- We use the present or past tense after AS SOON AS, not WILL or SHALL
- It's not an imprisonable offence to use LIKE with a verb, although many would prefer AS IF
- Examiners' Favourite!!
- AS on its own isn't used with the meaning 'for example'
- In gap-filling exercises, if you're looking for one word meaning 'for example' use LIKE
Definitions of As:
Cambridge Dictionaries |
New Zealand |