Results for 'if'
- Length: 2 characters
- Syllables: 1
Results for word: if
- One of the 220 words in the Dolch high frequency list
- One of the 850 words in Basic English
- In the top 2,000 words in the Brown Corpus
- Common word- this is one of the thousand words most frequently used in English.
- A list of about 3,000 words defined as easy for the Dale-Chall Readability Formula
- A conjunction joins words or, more frequently, phrases and clauses
- IF ONLY is used to express regret, exactly like I WISH
- Used in Conditionals
- We use AS IF rather than LIKE before a verb.
- You can say IF I,SHE,HE,IT + WAS or IF I,HE,SHE,IT +WERE
- We don't use WHETHER instead of IF in Conditional sentences very much
Related Glossary Definitions:
Artificial Language; Dangling Modifiers; Postmodifier; Premodifiers; Quantifiers
Definitions of If:
Cambridge Dictionaries |
New Zealand |
Similar Words (using 'if' as word stem):