Here's a handout that I've used to help students practice useful classroom English - How do you spell (noun) in English?
I explain that when they don't know how to spell a word in L2 they can use this useful interrogative sentence. I then do a little bit of drilling and then do some examples e.g. "How do you spell (inu) in English?. It's D-O-G. How do you spell (nihongo) in English? It's J-A-P-A-N-E-S-E. How do you spell (empitsu) in English? It's P-E-N-C-I-L.
Next, I distribute the hand out to the students and explain what they have to do. I demonstrate doing several examples on the board. For example, a cat is an animal. Can you think of some other animals? What animals do you like? As students are completing the handout and are unsure as to how to spell a word, they can ask me, their friends or the Japanese English Teacher using the sentence pattern.
Here's the handout.
Name:___________________________ Class No.:__________________
Think of a word to fit the following categories and write it in the space beside it.
Here's an example:
1. Boy's name ____________________
2. Country ____________________
3. A famous J-pop singer _____________________
4. Food _____________________
5. Fruit _____________________
6. Girl's name ______________________
7. Sport ______________________
8. Japanese city ______________________
9. Vegetable ______________________
10. Verb _______________________
Please feel to amend the handout to suit your classroom's level. Do give it a try. You won't be disappointed.
Categories: Lesson Plans & Handouts