Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
She is thanking a girl for helping out her husband with dementia. When you say "you are a blessing", is it "God's blessing" or "a grateful person or thing"?

ghost whisperer
[FONT=&#44404]wife- I've been praying for somebody to help me help him.
[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] I don't know where you came from, [/FONT][FONT=&#44404] but you are a blessing.
[/FONT][FONT=&#44404] I think my husband might say it's fate. [/FONT][FONT=&#44404] Fate or not, mine won't go gently.[/FONT]

luschen

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means "God's blessing". It could be rewritten (more awkwardly) "I don't know where you came from, but you are a blessing given to me by God."

*** Not a teacher ***

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
For most people these days, it simply means something that is helpful/useful/good. It's a little old-fashioned, in my opinion.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For most people these days, it simply means something that is helpful/useful/good. It's a little old-fashioned, in my opinion.

It seemed old-fashioned to me, too, when I was younger but now that I'm old enough to have relatives (and friends' relatives) suffering from dementia I hear that phrase quite regularly. I've unfortunately spent too much time sitting at hospital bedsides in the past few years, and "you are truly a blessing" is a common remark to the nurse or aide who is treating the unruly, incontinent patient with such loving care.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Blessing" and "to bless" are religiously-derived words. To a believer, it will always mean God's blessing. However there are secular uses, such as: "A good night's sleep is one of life's blessings", in which God doesn't necessarily figure. "Nature's blessing" is also seen. So the term has been unsanctified to some extent.

In your example, since the woman has been praying - and one assumes to God or at least to a semi-divine figure, or a saint (if she's Catholic) - that's she's attributing the blessing to God.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
"Blessing" and "to bless" are religiously-derived words. To a believer, it will always mean God's blessing. However there are secular uses, such as: "A good night's sleep is one of life's blessings", in which God doesn't necessarily figure. "Nature's blessing" is also seen. So the term has been unsanctified to some extent.

In your example, since the woman has been praying - and one assumes to God or at least to a semi-divine figure, or a saint (if she's Catholic) - that's she's attributing the blessing to God.

As you said, in the previous example, as she said "blessing" after praying, it might mean something religous.
But in a later conversation, when Mel talks to the ghost who was killed by the doctor with dementia who forgot to suture the ghost's operated part, she again says "...would be a blessing".
I doubt if this blessing is also a religious one, I guess it's something useful or grateful, a secular meaning.

[FONT=&#44404]ghost whisperer[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]-ghost- Dr. Devine's losing his mind?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]Mel-[/FONT] Losing his mind would be a blessing. [FONT=&#44404]It's deteriorating slowly. Sometimes people know what's happening to them and are able to hide it[/FONT]​

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
As you said, in the previous example, as she said "blessing" after praying, it might mean something religous.
But in a later conversation, when Mel talks to the ghost who was killed by the doctor with dementia who forgot to suture the ghost's operated part, she again says "...would be a blessing".
I doubt if this blessing is also a religious one, I guess it's something useful or grateful, a secular meaning.

[FONT=&#44404]ghost whisperer[/FONT]
[FONT=&#44404]-ghost- Dr. Devine's losing his mind?[/FONT]​

[FONT=&#44404]Mel-[/FONT] Losing his mind would be a blessing. [FONT=&#44404]It's deteriorating slowly. Sometimes people know what's happening to them and are able to hide it[/FONT]​
Then again, Ghost Whisperers and ghosts might have their own meaning and understanding of what a blessing is that we mere mortals tend to miss! But generally, non-religious people don't use this term. I don't know what metaphysical beliefs are endorsed in this show, but in this case, "It would be a blessing" would normally just mean, "It would be a good/fortunate thing."

Status
Not open for further replies.