I put the cooker on the gas and took it off gas after it blew vissle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India

Please check my sentence.

FOR OTHER MEMBERS
Please don't respond to this thread until Tufguy has complied with the request in post #3.
-GoesStation, moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Do you mean kettle, stove and whistle?

FOR OTHER MEMBERS
Please don't respond to this thread until Tufguy has complied with the request in post #3.
-GoesStation, moderator

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You seem to have run out of articles after the first two nouns. Please add an article before the remaining nouns and put the revised message in a new post in this thread.

You should also look up each of the nouns. There are only three, so it won't take long. See whether they mean what you think they do.

FOR OTHER MEMBERS
Please don't respond to this thread until Tufguy has complied.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You seem to have run out of articles after the first two nouns. Please add an article before the remaining nouns and put the revised message in a new post in this thread.

You should also look up each of the nouns. There are only three, so it won't take long. See whether they mean what you think they do.

FOR OTHER MEMBERS
Please don't respond to this thread until Tufguy has complied.

I put the cooker on the gas and took it off the gas after it blew a whistle.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean kettle, stove and whistle?

Tufguy, did you actually read post #2? If so, why have you used the three original words instead of the correct ones tedmc gave you?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here's what you need to know:

1. Cookers don't whistle. Kettles whistle.

2. Cooker is another uncommon word, except when people talk about slow cookers, which are electric pots used for cooking things overnight. Otherwise, cooker is not natural.

3. Kettles don't blow whistles. Kettles' whistles blow.

4. Gas is wrong. You can say stove or burner. Sometimes people say gas ring, but I don't hear it often.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Also, remember that in some countries, having a kettle that goes on the stove is very outdated. Almost all UK households have an electric kettle, and they don't whistle.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, remember that in some countries, having a kettle that goes on the stove is very outdated. Almost all UK households have an electric kettle, and they don't whistle.
In the US we have both. But an electric pot doesn't go on the stove.

Note to Tufguy: Look up vissle.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you put my kettle on the stove, it would melt!!! Many kettles are made of plastic, and almost all kettle bases are plastic. In case of any confusion, this is what I'm talking about:

Screenshot 2021-02-09 at 14.39.33.jpg

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They don't whistle? How do you know when they're done?

The electric kettle exists in the US, but is not as effective because we have 110 V household power, not 200 V. Takes longer to boil. Easier to use stove, which is 220 V.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
They don't whistle? How do you know when they're done? . . .
You don't. They just shut themselves off when the water boils. Good luck remembering to check.

I used to have one at work. The water kept getting cold again, so I ended up heating it over and over

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

The electric kettle exists in the US, but is not as effective because we have 110 V household power, not 200 V. Takes longer to boil. Easier to use stove, which is 220 V.
Many British kettles are only a thousand or 1,500 watts, just like American ones. But they're available up to 3,000 watts. Those bad boys boil your water in a flash.

Electric kettles with thermostats beep when the water reaches the desired temperature — or in the case of the one I'm using now, anywhere from ten to fifteen degrees Celsius (18 to 27 Fahrenheit) above it. :-(

I brought a British 3,000-watt kettle home from a trip to England and installed a 240-volt outlet for it in the kitchen. I even installed a UK-style outlet, just for fun. That outlet came in handy when I realized I could easily run a cord out the window and power a 3,000-watt heater on our deck. The heater was expensive but it extended the deck's comfortable-for-socially-distant-visiting season considerably.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In my case, I don't need to "know when it's done" because I'm standing in the kitchen, at my countertop, getting the rest of the stuff ready for my cup of tea! It boils, it automatically turns off, I pick it up, pour the boiling water onto the teabag in the mug, wait, chuck the teabag on the compost pile, add the milk and drink the tea. I've never understood why or how anyone would/could walk off once they've switched the kettle on. It only takes about a minute for it to boil!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What happens when one and a half million Brits turn on their kettles in five minutes:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You don't. They just shut themselves off when the water boils. Good luck remembering to check.

I used to have one at work. The water kept getting cold again, so I ended up heating it over and over
That doesn't happen with a 3,000-watt kettle. You don't have time to go anywhere before it comes to a boil. :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ha ha! That makes us Brits look even more bonkers than usual!

I can safely say he doesn't need to add any extra electricity for me at 7.30pm Monday to Friday - I don't watch EastEnders. If I'm ever unfortunate enough to have to sit through an episode, I imagine I'll be getting myself a stiff drink afterwards, not a cup of tea!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The video provided me with another epiphany. I hadn't realized that the grid's frequency is self-synchronized. Any generator tied to it that begins to lag gets a boost from the grid because it's out of phase. The generator being less powerful than the grid, it speeds up much more than the rest of the grid's generators slow down. During the boosting phase, it becomes a motor and consumes power rather than producing it.

I'd also never realized that the grid's frequency varies. It's one of the many engineering facts that are obvious (to an engineer, anyway) — but only in retrospect.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
This from the Wikipedia entry for TV pickup:

The largest ever pickup was on 4 July 1990, when a 2800 MW demand was imposed by the ending of the penalty shootout in the England v West Germany FIFA World Cup semi-final. In addition to pickups, the Grid also prepares for synchronised switch-offs during remembrance and energy-awareness events.

Rather fortunately for the UK National Grid, Remembrance Sunday comes around considerably more often than England getting to the semi-finals of the World Cup!

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

My electric one for work (because the school frowns upon gas appliances in our offices) has a blue light which turns on while heating, and goes off when the water has boiled. That, in addition to the loud audible click when it turns off, do a pretty good job of notifying you, at least in the small confines of an office.

Whistles are still better, though.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ours makes itself quite obvious when it's boiling. It makes a bit of a racket.

It's not so good at announcing when it's arrived at a lower pre-set temperature. It emits an unusually discreet beep, perhaps owing to its English heritage. Understatement is a key attribute of Englishness.

I once saw an advertising display in a Carphone Warehouse shop in London proudly proclaiming that the latest model featured "slightly improved software".

Status
Not open for further replies.