Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.:-D

Please look at the sentences below.

1. I want to go to a mountain.
2. I want to go to the mountain(s).

I'm not talking about the 'specific' mountain(s).
#1 is grammatical, but it doesn't sound quite right.
#2 is also grammatical, but it sounds as if I were talking about the 'specific' mountain(s).

Which should I choose?

Thank you.

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

2. I want to go to the moutain(s).

#2 is also grammatical, but it sounds as if I were talking about the 'specific' mountain(s).

Which should I choose?

Thank you.

The first is not natural for me. The second works with the plural form if a specific mountain is not intended,

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

2. I want to go to the moutain(s).

Which should I choose?

Thank you.
Having lived in flat country once I understand sentence #1. I really wanted to go to a mountain.
I want to go to the mountains means that I want to go to any mountain. In the singular (mountain) it means that I want to go to a certain mountain. For example, where I live now there is only one mountain nearby. If I say that I want to go to the mountain most people who live here would understand that I want to go to that mountain.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
In the singular (mountain) it means that I want to go to a certain mountain. For example, where I live now there is only one mountain nearby. If I say that I want to go to the mountain most people who live here would understand that I want to go to that mountain.
In a thread comparing "a mountain" to "the mountain", you can't refer to "in the singular" without ambiguity. I take it that your first sentence refers to "the mountain".

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I disagree. If you say, "I want to go to a mountain" you mean any mountain, not a specific mountain. If you meant a specific mountain, you'd say "the mountain". If you mean mountains generally, it's "the mountains".
You've changed "a mountain" to "the mountain" seemingly without noticing.

Thank you, Raymott.:-D

I think Gillnetter is referring to #2 in my original post- "in the singular (the mountain) instead of in the plural (the mountains) it means..." is what Gill might have meant.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you, Raymott.:-D

I think Gillnetter is referring to #2 in my original post- "in the singular (the mountain) instead of in the plural (the mountains) it means..." is what Gill might have meant.
I know. I realised that as soon as I posted, and changed my post. Hence, you will see that my previous post now bears little resemblance to the one you've quoted. Not that there's anything wrong about the post you've quoted, except for the misunderstanding. Well spotted!

Status
Not open for further replies.