Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

I saw the following two sentences before:
1. But if we do not address these complexities in the public arena, and in ways that are spatially theoretically grounded, we will be remiss in carrying out our scholarly and civic responsibilities. —Saul B. Cohen, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, December 1991
2. I certainly would let the parents know that I was remiss in not including a card.

For the first one, it seems that they should carry out their responsibility but they won't if they fail to address the complexities.
For the second one, it seems that he should include the card but he didn't, and therefore he needed to let the parents know his careless mistakes.
Why wasn't the negative expression involved in the first sentence but in the second one? (...we will be remiss in "NOT" carrying out....responsibilities....)

If I say that he was remiss in turning on the computer, do I mean:
1. He shouldn't turn on the computer but he did.
2. He should turn on the computer but he didn't.

Thank you

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
All you need is a dictionary. There are many available online. You were remiss in failing to consult one.

joseph0928

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I indeed looked up the dictionary, but the first sentence really confuses me.
But if we do not address these complexities in the public arena, and in ways that are spatially theoretically grounded, we will be remiss in carrying out our scholarly and civic responsibilities. —Saul B. Cohen, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, December 1991

Shouldn't it be "we will be remiss in not carrying out our scholarly and civic responsibilities" or "we will be remiss in failing to carry out our scholarly and civic responsibilities"?

Thank you

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"Remiss" means "negligent or careless".
You say you are remiss/negligent in carrying your duties, not remiss in not carrying out your duties. The duties are carried out but not diligently or in a proper manner.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I indeed looked up the dictionary, but the first sentence really confuses me.
But if we do not address these complexities in the public arena, and in ways that are spatially theoretically grounded, we will be remiss in carrying out our scholarly and civic responsibilities. —Saul B. Cohen, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, December 1991

Shouldn't it be "we will be remiss in not carrying out our scholarly and civic responsibilities" or "we will be remiss in failing to carry out our scholarly and civic responsibilities"?

Thank you

You are right. A person is remiss in failing to do something he was supposed to do (which is why your computer example doesn't work).

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
we will be remiss in carrying out our scholarly and civic responsibilities.
I take it to mean that they will have carried out their responsibilities not carefully enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.