Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
The main questions of the discussion is can the computer think? For this questions Alan Turing, a mathematician, created a test whose main feature is the interaction between three entities, one a computer and others humans actors. The test assesses the interactions by establishing a dialogue between the three actors, then one of the actors notice whether he was interacting with a computer or a human being.
However, this kind of test can be put in question by a philosophical paradox. the main features of the paradox are the behavior and thoughts. Behavior sets the opportunity to be seen as being intelligent, because when an interactions happens a codex is implied to it, and the structure of the codex could be broken. Therefore, what it seems to be important is the interaction on the test can be understood as interactions of thought; thoughts implied meanings and meanings may imply intelligence or thinking.
In conclusion, the test design might seen as useless, because it just measure the behavior of being intelligent not being intelligent by think of meaning, the test measure the structure of acting like you are thinking, not the process of thinking.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum.

Firstly, I have moved your piece to the Editing and Writing Topics section which is more appropriate for this kind of thing.

Secondly, what is the purpose of this piece of writing? Is it homework or an assignment?

Rattlehead

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Thank you very much. Well, I'll explain you the situation. This an exercises that I have done from one of the Barron's writing skill books for the integrated task of the TOEFL. I would be very pleased if you, or any professor, can correct my grammar and the flow of my ideas (any recommendation are well received). The topic of the exercise is the Turing test and their critics, especially, a philosophical paradox set by one philosopher who demonstrated that the test measure if the computer can act (behavior) like they are thinking, but not if they have the opportunity to show the interpretation of thoughts.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The main [STRIKE]questions[/STRIKE] question of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] this discussion is "Can the computer think?" For this [STRIKE]questions[/STRIKE] question, Alan Turing, a mathematician, created a test, [STRIKE]whose[/STRIKE] the main feature of which is the interaction between three entities - [STRIKE]one[/STRIKE] a computer and [STRIKE]others[/STRIKE] two [STRIKE]humans[/STRIKE] human actors. The test assesses the interactions by establishing a dialogue between the three [STRIKE]actors[/STRIKE] participants, then one of the actors [STRIKE]notice[/STRIKE] decides/guesses whether he was interacting with a computer or a human being.
However, this kind of test can be put in question by a philosophical paradox. The main features of the paradox are [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] behavior and thoughts. Behavior [STRIKE]sets[/STRIKE] provides the opportunity to be seen as being intelligent, because when an [STRIKE]interactions[/STRIKE] interaction happens a codex is [STRIKE]implied[/STRIKE] applied to it, and the structure of the codex could be broken. Therefore, what [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] seems to be important is that the interaction on the test can be understood as interactions of thought; thoughts [STRIKE]implied[/STRIKE] imply meanings and meanings may imply intelligence or thinking.
In conclusion, the test design might be seen as useless, because it just measures the behavior of being intelligent, not of being intelligent by thinking of meaning. The test measures the structure of acting like you are thinking, not the process of thinking.

Please see my amendments above in red. You seem to have difficulty with singular/plural choice, and also with verb forms, particularly using the third person singular.

Rattlehead

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
Chile
Thanks a lot. I saw that coming, I'll work that part of grammar. Another advice??

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot. I saw that coming, I'll work on that part of my grammar. Any other advice?

Those were the main problems. It's well-written otherwise (even if I don't really understand the content!) Your capitalisation, punctuation and sentence length are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.