Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Please check out the following sentences.

(1) Regarding humanities and cultures, the Qing Dynasty had ruled Taiwan for 212 years.
(2) Han Chinese was officially the first farming settlers of this region in the 50th year of Qianlong Emperor (1785).
(3) Starting from the very year, a large number of Hakka Han Chinese immigrants came and cultivated the wasteland in the region of Yang-mei.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
(1) Regarding humanities and cultures, the Qing Dynasty had ruled Taiwan for 212 years.
(2) Han Chinese was officially the first farming settlers of this region in the 50th year of Qianlong Emperor (1785).
(3) Starting from the very year, a large number of Hakka Han Chinese immigrants came and cultivated the wasteland in the region of Yang-mei.

(Font enlarged for those struggling to read such small print.
No comment on the content at this time.)

Ashiuhto

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I am confused by the use of the following underlined wording as written. Please give me a correction.

Regarding humanities and cultures, the Qing Dynasty ruled Taiwan for 212 years. Han Chinese were officially the first farming settlers of this region, in the 50th year of the Emperor Qianlong (1758). Starting from that very year, a large number of Hakka Han Chinese immigrants came and cultivated the wasteland in the Yangmei Region.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am confused by the use of the following underlined wording as written. Please give me a correction.

[STRIKE]Regarding humanities and cultures,[/STRIKE] The Qing Dynasty ruled Taiwan for 212 years. Han Chinese were officially the first farming settlers of this region, in the 50th year of the Emperor Qianlong (1758). Starting from that very year, a large number of Hakka Han Chinese immigrants came and cultivated the wasteland in the Yangmei Region.
That's a transition phrase, which is supposed to mean something like, "Now I'm going to write about humanities and cultures". The paragraph out of context doesn't require it, and it's a rather primitive way of transitioning between paragraphs or signalling that you've covered "humanities and cultures".

Status
Not open for further replies.