Is this a good reference for English writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RA-13

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I was able to pick one short essay on the internet to use it as my learning tool for creative English writing. I like to hear your opinions whether the structure and the style of this literature is easy to be understood.

Here is the first part of the piece;

I am a Filipino - inheritor of a glorious past, hostage to the uncertain future. As such I must prove equal to a two-fold task- the task of meeting my responsibility to the past, and the task of performing my obligation to the future. I sprung from a hardy race - child of many generations removed of ancient Malayan pioneers. Across the centuries, the memory comes rushing back to me: of brown-skinned men putting out to sea in ships that were as frail as their hearts were stout. Over the sea I see them come, borne upon the billowing wave and the whistling wind, carried upon the mighty swell of hope- hope in the free abundance of new land that was to be their home and their children's forever.
This is the land they sought and found. Every inch of shore that their eyes first set upon, every hill and mountain that beckoned to them with a green and purple invitation, every mile of rolling plain that their view encompassed, every river and lake that promise a plentiful living and the fruitfulness of commerce, is a hollowed spot to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's understandable - I don't think I would describe it as "easy to understand" but that depends on your level. It's a bit flowery for me but that's not always a bad thing, I suppose. It contains some interesting structures and constructions. It's not what I would necessarily choose as a study piece.

One thing - there is a typo in the very last sentence. It should be "hallowed", not "hollowed".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Purple prose is more about effect than meaning IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.