Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
When native speakers order food at the restaurant, they would say "the" before the food they order. For example, I’d like to have the steak, please.

Does "the" is used to specify the food of the restaurant e.g the food at ABC Restaurant? Thanks.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When native speakers order food at the restaurant, they would say "the" before the food they order. For example, I’d like to have the steak, please.

Does "the" is used to specify the food of the restaurant e.g the food at ABC Restaurant? Thanks.

Assuming there is only one steak on the menu, "the" is fine. If there are sirloin steaks, porterhouse steaks, and rib-eye steaks on the menu, you would have to specify which one you want.

Your second sentence should start with: "Is "the" used to specify". It is obvious that one can only order food that is available at that particular restaurant.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Does "the" is used to specify the food of the restaurant e.g the food at ABC Restaurant?

Possibly, but it distinguishes the dish you want from the ones you don't want.

J

J&K Tutoring

This kind of sentence would often be used after the server had mentioned the evening 'specials', perhaps including a fish dish, a vegetarian dish, and a steak dish. Then the diner would choose from among those narrowed options-

"I'll try the fish."
"The vegetarian sounds good. I'll have that."
"I'll have the steak."

This form could also be used for any other situation where there is only one possible interpretation on the menu.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Assuming there is only one steak on the menu, "the" is fine. If there are sirloin steaks, porterhouse steaks, and rib-eye steaks on the menu, you would have to specify which one you want.

Your second sentence should start with: "Is "the" used to specify". It is obvious that one can only order food that is available at that particular restaurant.

Thanks Mike

Are the following sentences natural if we order food at the restaurant?

1. I'd like to have a sirloin steak.
2. I'd like to have the sirloin steak.
3. I'd like to have sirloin steak.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks Mike

Are the following sentences natural if we order food at the restaurant?

1. I'd like to have a sirloin steak.
2. I'd like to have the sirloin steak.
3. I'd like to have sirloin steak.

Yes, all would work.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
And to save the server the trouble of asking how you'd like it cooked, say 'I'd like a sirloin steak, medium rare, please'.

Status
Not open for further replies.