Student or Learner
Native Language
Thai
Home Country
Thailand
Current Location
Thailand
Dear Teachers and Members,

I am reading a historical novel: Silence for the dead by Simonne St James. The author is describes a girl lived in early 20th century who wears "a dark blue dress and small hat with a half veil"

Please tell me what is a half veil. It is a veil covers only a half of her face or it is a very thin veil?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Usually both.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Dear Teachers and Members,[/STRIKE] Unnecessary

I am reading a historical novel: Silence for the Dead by [STRIKE]Simonne[/STRIKE] Simone St James. The author [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] describes a girl who lived in the early 20th century who wears "a dark blue dress and small hat with a half veil".

Please tell me what [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] a half veil is. [STRIKE]It is[/STRIKE] Is it a veil which covers only [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] half of her face or [STRIKE]it is[/STRIKE] is it a very thin veil?

See above for my suggested amendments to your post.

Before spending time asking here, if there is something you can't identify, try Google. If you go to Google Images and search "hat with half veil", you will get lots of pictures which answer your question. HERE is the page of hits I got.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I stand by my statement that millions of things on Google are wrong. However, I should clarify that - millions of things written on Google are not grammatical. I wasn't being disparaging. I was stating a fact.

Generally, if you are looking for an image on Google and you use appropriate words in the description, you will find exactly what you are looking for.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Recently you disparaged Google in this post, why do you advise the OP to try Google?

Some people can be over-reliant on Google and think that an occurrence in Google proves the existence of a form. That does not stop it being a brilliant tool, though. It depends on how it is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.