[Grammar] You were right about the hotel being too crowded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello Teachers,
I am getting confused about using this kinf og grammar as following:

Right about => You were right about the hotel being too crowded.

Source:right - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

Could any one kindly describe why we use 'being' on such sentence? what is called such grammar rules?!
is it gerund or participle?!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello Teachers,
I am getting confused about using this kind of grammar as follows[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE]:

Could [STRIKE]any [/STRIKE] someone kindly describe why we use 'being' in such a sentence? What is it called[STRIKE] such[/STRIKE] in grammar [STRIKE]rules[/STRIKE]?
is it a gerund or a participle?!

"Being" is used as a gerund which is a noun.

You are right about something, the "something" being "the hotel being too crowded".

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India

You are right about something, the "something" being "the hotel being too crowded".
Thanks for your reply and correcting me as well.
Could you please give me a resource to fine more information about such a structure ?!I want to learn much about it.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I consider 'being' a present participle modifying 'hotel', the object of the preposition 'about'.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Could you please give more examples like the sentence I mentioned? My problem has not been solved yet.
I don't know how and when I can use that kind of a structure. It dosen;t make sentece to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Do you mean something like the following?

'It seems that the topic being discussed is of no interest to Piscean.'

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You have a gerund in Italian called "gerundio composto" - the gerund plus a past particle.
avendo parlato Having spoken, he left".
essendo partito: "Having (Being) left, he walked home." (You use essere for movement verbs.)
http://tutorino.ca/grammatica/2007/10/10/gerunds-vs-present-participles-in-italian.html

In English, we also use this structure in the following way: "You were right about him having left (essendo partito)."
"Being crowded, the hotel was making a lot of money."
A translator gives this for the original:
"Avevi ragione circa l'hotel essere affollato." This uses the infinitive 'essere'. Is that a correct translation? We use the gerund there.
Does this help?

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulMatthews

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Hello Teachers,
I am getting confused about using this kind of grammar as following:

Could any one kindly describe why we use 'being' on such sentence? what is called such grammar rules?!
is it gerund or participle?!

"You were right about [the hotel being too crowded]".

As said earlier, for most purposes there is really no point in distinguishing gerunds and present participles, hence the term 'gerund-participle' used by some grammarians, or simply '-ing participle' by others. The most important thing is to determine the function of the word in the clause, and its category usually then becomes clear. In your example, there is a non-finite subordinate clause "the hotel being too crowded" functioning as complement to the preposition "about". The subordinate clause has a subject "the hotel" and a predicate "being too crowded". The head of a predicate is always a verb, and since "being" can be a verb, it is the only possible candidate for head, a function that we've just said can only be filled by a verb. So we've managed to identify both the function (head of the predicate) and category (verb) of the word "being" without any reference to, or knowledge of, the terms 'gerund' or 'participle'.

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
You have a gerund in Italian called "gerundio composto" - the gerund plus a past particle.
avendo parlato Having spoken, he left".
essendo partito: "Having (Being) left, he walked home." (You use essere for movement verbs.)
http://tutorino.ca/grammatica/2007/10/10/gerunds-vs-present-participles-in-italian.html

In English, we also use this structure in the following way: "You were right about him having left (essendo partito)."
"Being crowded, the hotel was making a lot of money."
A translator gives this for the original:
"Avevi ragione circa l'hotel essere affollato." This uses the infinitive 'essere'. Is that a correct translation? We use the gerund there.
Does this help?

Thanks Raymott.

You really gave me such a great clue to find out more information about such a structure that made me confused.
Actually this kind of structure is called " possessive gerund " that is what I wanted to know.
For every body who needs get far more information about it follow the bellow links:
we can revise as follow:
Formal :You were right about the (its)/hotel 's being too crowded.
Informal:You were right about the hotel(it) being too crowded.
Thanks agian for your great help.

http://english.stackexchange.com/qu...preceded-by-a-possessive-adjective-determiner
http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/tp...ng&lettr=indx_catlog_p&page=90SDm90b7Xlw.html
http://www.getitwriteonline.com/archive/022205posscasegerunds.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.