Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just wondering if anyone can answer this pronunciation issue I'm having. I record audio books for a living, and have just had a British narrator come in for some readings. While she read a particular novel, she pronounced the word "provenance" as "PRO-vin-ince" or sometimes "PRO-vin-ahnce" as opposed to "PRAHV-in-ince" which is the most prominent pronunciation I found. I was just wondering if she could get away with saying it that way, or if you think it needs to be changed. Thanks!

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
Just wondering if anyone can answer this pronunciation issue I'm having. I record audio books for a living, and have just had a British narrator come in for some readings. While she read a particular novel, she pronounced the word "provenance" as "PRO-vin-ince" or sometimes "PRO-vin-ahnce" as opposed to "PRAHV-in-ince" which is the most prominent pronunciation I found. I was just wondering if she could get away with saying it that way, or if you think it needs to be changed. Thanks!

M-W lists -ahnce pronunciation. Then, the issue boils down to OH vs AH. BrE dictionaries list the latter as well as its rounded variant. Yes, one can get away with these things. Not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.