Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

I thought 'blacken' is a verb. But I came across this sentence from the movie 'Angels and Demons':

"We must open the doors, tear down the blacken curtains and speak to our flock."

I am assuming the intended meaning is 'dark' or 'black'. Is it old English?
It is at 1:22:08 into the movie.

Thank you

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
After listening again a few times, I am not certain if he is saying "blackened curtains". That would make more sense, right? Sorry, my hearing is not too good, and I posted the original question after reading the subtitles, in which it says 'blacken curtains'.

nyota

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

I thought 'blacken' is a verb. But I came across this sentence from the movie 'Angels and Demons':

"We must open the doors, tear down the blacken curtains and speak to our flock."

I am assuming the intended meaning is 'dark' or 'black'. Is it old English?
It is at 1:22:08 into the movie.

Thank you
I'm not a teacher

Are you sure it's not blackened?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
. . . or even blackout?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
After listening again a few times, I am not certain if he is saying "blackened curtains". That would make more sense, right? Sorry, my hearing is not too good, and I posted the original question after reading the subtitles, in which it says 'blacken curtains'.

Subtitles are often inaccurate. It could be a poetic usage, but I would imagine it's a mistake.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
. . . or even blackout?

:up:Sounds more likely to me. 'Blackout curtains' are used as a defensive precaution (to stop - for example - bomber pilots from identifying a target). The cleric (I assume) in the film is saying 'We must stop hunkering down, get out there and speak openly to the people'. 'Our flock' is a traditional metaphor used by people in a pastoral position* (apt word, it originally means something like 'like a shepherd') when talking about their congregation (another apt word, derived from the Latin grex [='flock']).

b
PS added missing word

Last edited:

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@bobK,you are 100% right!! It is the Camerleng in the movie (I looked up the meaning and it said the origin of that word is Chamberlain), who says that line. Yes, that is what is saying (listening to his other lines) that they should speak openly to the people (Catholics) standing outside for the council to decide on who is the next Pope. They are waiting for the white smoke which indicates that they have elected the next Pope. That is the context.

@Rover, No, I am not sure it is or not 'blackened'. I am not able to hear well. :-(

I don't know if it is ok to post a clip of that line and if it is ok, how to do it.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
@bobK,you are 100% right!! It is the Camerleng in the movie (I looked up the meaning and it said the origin of that word is Chamberlain), who says that line. Yes, that is what is saying (listening to his other lines) that they should speak openly to the people (Catholics) standing outside for the council to decide on who is the next Pope. They are waiting for the white smoke which indicates that they have elected the next Pope. That is the context.

@Rover, No, I am not sure it is or not 'blackened'. I am not able to hear well. :-(

I don't know if it is ok to post a clip of that line and if it is ok, how to do it.
There can be no doubt that he was talking about blackout curtains, saying, essentially, that "we must let in the light."

Status
Not open for further replies.