[General] Can An Expert Rate My Extrication Letter Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xplosiveca

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello, I am trying to write a letter which expresses that I am unhappy and that I have been blamed for something which was out of my control. Thank you :)

Please tell me how this sounds ? On a scale of 1-10 how would you rate how my letter expresses my feelings? Do you have any tips ?

The letter (to the administrator):

Dear sir,

I do not understand why my emails would have been received in your "junk" folder, we have spoken via email many times before. Emails do not usually just randomly decide to junk someone after several months of communication. Especially when I was never "junked" to begin with.

Also, do you not check your junk emails? I mean the folder is right there and would inform you that you have unread emails (and you have even said before that you have to be careful because some legitimate emails are placed there.)

You are correct to say that I did not leave a voice mail at the box office while you were at the Gryphon Theatre because that did not make any sense when I could be spending my accomplishing something that would actually help, such as attempting to contact someone there, which I did. I spoke with Andrea and I asked if everything would be okay without me Thursday night, she then stopped responding to me. From that point I was left to believe that everything was alright, otherwise she would have stated the opposite. I also remembered how you were just cheering the other morning that you now have so many volunteers, and I remembered on Wednesday night when we were overfilled with them.

Had Andrea, instead of ignoring my requests, informed me if you really were so "short handed" and needed me to be there, I could have attempted to arrange for another means of transportation. Instead however, when I asked I was given no response. I did what I could do to get a hold of you and at that point there really was nothing more for me to do.

I remember early last week when we discussed communication and I said I would contact you if something were to come up, well I did. Also I had informed you days in advance that I had an important meeting in the morning. You did mention that making a phone call would be the most effective way to inform you, however I detailed in my emails to both you and our Artistic Producer, Arkady, as to why I could not phone you.

I would also very much like to point out that if I were to contact one of my clients about a project after the deadline and say "Sorry, your emails were in my junk folder." Not only would I lose the contract to that project, but I would more than likely lose that client as well, and I would have publicly set back my business as I failed to hire an administrator who could handle keeping track of their emails - one of the most common and most powerful means of communication today.

In the real world when you are unable to show up and you speak with the Director of Development and email both the Artistic Producer and the Administrator numerous times, it is not your fault that the business failed to realize your communications, it is at their own discretion to fail to perform their responsibilities and fire someone else for their own faults.

Good day to you sir,
[My Name]
[My Signature]

Your thoughts are VERY much appreciated and thank you in advance for helping me! :)

P.S this is in response to an email which I had received at the end of the work day on Friday. If you would like me to post that email, I would be more than happy. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You are not going to like what I say.

If you no longer want any sort of relationship with this person, you're fine. I would never trust you with anything again, because it's petulant and borders on childish ("in the real world" and "Good day to you, sir"). You start off blaming the other person and I would assume that it's your typical way to operate.

If you DO want to make things better, scrap all of this and say "There have obviously been some communications mis-steps along the way, and I would like to talk to you face-to-face to resolve this matter. I'd like to present why I did what I did and let you know what I was thinking at the time, and hear your suggestions on how you think we can avoid any recurrence. I'm sure that if we talk in person, we can avoid the pitfalls of communicating by e-mail and we can move forward."

And if you have already lost your job over this, is there a point in poking the dead beast with a spear? Just walk away.

xplosiveca

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello Barb, thank you very much for your response :)

To answer your question, No I do not want to work with them again! haha, they have caused me way too much grief :(

I am responding to a rather obnoxious email which I received from them, the usage of the terms "In the real world" and "Good day to you" were an emphasis on their usage of those terms to me in that email. I found it very insulting to be spoken to like that, I am just responding like that so they can understand how it feels and hopefully see that I am clearly not appreciating it.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly ! :D

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, then my advice would be more along the lines of psychological counseling about not letting things eat away at you. Cast that stuff off! Or, as someone wrote recently,don't let them own any piece of you, including your anger.

If you really, truly want to respond, and want him to read it, shorten it up quite a bit.

The problems seem oriented around bad communication, so just remind them that their communication in this was equally poor, from failing to respond to not reading their e-mail.

Anyway, good luck. (Do that visualization thing: Tie their nonsense to an imaginary balloon, get it out of your system, and then watch that virtual balloon float away... it's worked for me on things that have made me batty.)

xplosiveca

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Haha alright, thanks very much Barb. I'll cut out most of it, rather than detailing my feelings and responding to all of the points in their email I will just explain the communication errors like you said :)

Thanks again! :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Good luck!