Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In Gossip Girl, which is an American TV series, Archibald was playing tennis game via video with two girls, and later he said, " Oh, boom goes the dynamite".

I did the Google research and found the definition from Urban Dictionary as follows:

Popularized by a video of a radio broadcast at a college. A guy was asked at the last moment to fill-in for the normal sportscaster. He was given a poorly written script that did not match any part of the replay video, yet he stuck it out. The segment was so ridiculously fubared he ended with, "and boom goes the dynamite."

Refers to being involved in a situation where everything that can go wrong, does, yet sticking it out until, inevitably, the dynamite goes off (which itself is a reference to movies where, no matter what, the bomb goes off.)
Urban Dictionary: boom goes the dynamite

Yet, I still don't understand it after reading the explanation above. Archibald seemed very excited and he didn't make anything wrong.

Could someone please elucidate further?

Thank you!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe he just won and was exclaiming such in triumph, that he blew them (the girls) up. I would not assume that he is making a reference to an event in the Urban Dictionary.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The original broadcast is readily available on youtube.

Boom Goes the Dynamite - YouTube The phrase occurs shortly after 2:30 minutes.

Personally, I cannot understand how this ever got a life.

Status
Not open for further replies.