Maxim kept walking under the midday sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Maxim kept walking under the midday sun. He felt his iPhone vibrate in his back pocket. He grabbed it, sighing deeply as he saw the LOW BATTERY warning on the screen. Okay, don't lose it man. There must be a working electric socket in this village. To his right stood a half rubble, half apartment consisted of three stories. The top floor didn't have a wall and Maxim could see broken furniture half buried in the living room. The middle floor's wall was half-ruined, crooked rebar sticking out of its wall and the ground floor was almost intact. He saw the cable that connected the house to the electricity grid that ran along the alley. Alright. This is good. He cautiously opened the peeling white door, stepping inside. The door of the ground floor was swaying, making a creaking noise. Maxim walked inside the apartment. He passed a short hallway carpeted with a battered red rug to enter the living room, feeling the musty air that had been trapped for a long a time. Everything inside was covered with months of dust. For a moment, Maxim tried to imagine the house and the family inside it in their heyday. The rumble of machine guns broke the silence, pulling him out of his reverie. He saw three bullet holes on the wall that faced the alley. Shafts of sun burst through them, illuminating the dust floating in the air.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is this correct and natural?

Maxim kept walking under the midday sun. He felt his iPhone vibrate in his back pocket. He grabbed it, sighing deeply as he saw the LOW BATTERY warning on the screen. Okay, don't lose it man. There must be a working electric socket in this village. To his right stood a half-rubble three-story apartment building. The top floor didn't have a wall, and Maxim could see broken furniture half-buried in the living room. The middle floor's wall was half-ruined, crooked rebar sticking out of its wall, but the ground floor was almost intact. He saw the cable that connected the house to the electricity grid that ran along the alley. Alright. This is good. He cautiously opened the peeling white door, stepping inside. The door of the ground floor was swaying, making a creaking noise. Maxim walked inside the apartment. He passed a short hallway carpeted with a battered red rug to enter the living room, feeling the musty air that had been trapped for a long a time. Everything inside was covered with months of dust. For a moment, Maxim tried to imagine the house and the family inside it in their heyday. The rumble of machine guns broke the silence, pulling himself out of his reverie. He saw three bullet holes on the wall that faced the alley. Shafts of sun burst through them, illuminating the dust floating in the air.
An apartment is one unit of an apartment building (or as the Brits say, block of flats).

And the Brits spell story storey. I forget which version of English you usually use.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
An apartment is one unit of an apartment building (or as the Brits say, block of flats).

And the Brits spell story storey. I forget which version of English you usually use.

Why himself?

I think I need to change the verb from "pull" to "jolt".

...jolting him out of his reverie....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about something like catching the dust? We already know it's light.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
How about something like catching the dust? We already know it's light.

Do you mean catch instead of illuminate?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd prefer "catch" but I'd change the order of the sentence to use it. I'd say something like "Flecks of dust were caught in/by the shafts of sunlight coming through them".

Status
Not open for further replies.