Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
[h=2]Hello.[/h]

This translation was corrected on a forum. The mistakes were marked but were not explained. I changed the text using the teacher's suggestions. Below this text, you can see the corrected one with my comments about my word choice. It might be unnecessary but I still posted it just in any case. I edited the text several times. It still looks weird. I don't know why.
:-| The yellow parts(the teacher's corrections) are gone. I will post the link instead. ​https://www.englishforums.com/Englis...xglqk/post.htm

''We start our tour by visiting the Church of St. Paul in Thessaloniki where the relics of the saint are
kept/contained. Later we will visit John the Baptist's cell and a nearby cave in which many saints including the founder of Hesychasm Gregory Palamas led
a life dedicated to God. The monastery has a collection of the holy relics, among which is John the Baptist's right hand. The visit to the church, where the relics of saint Antonios the patron saint of Veria are held, will introduce you to the city of Veria. Saint Paul's tribune, the place where his passionate speech converted to Christianity thousands of people, will move the pilgrims back to early Christian period. Panagia Soumela Monastery in the town of Kastania houses the oldest icon of the Virgin Mary painted by the hand of St. Luke the Evangelist. The icon still produces miracles. We will also visit monk's monastery of the Assumption of the Virgin, Panagia Dovra Church of the XII century, which houses the miraculous icon of Panagia Dovra, relics of St. Demetrius and of Archbishop Luca. Visiting religious sites requires a specific dress code. Men must wear long trousers. Their shoulders must be covered. Women must wear below knee skirts with covered low-cut tops and shoulders. It's not mandatory for them to cover their heads. The excursion is offered only in summer''.
I googled whether it should be man's monastery or men's monastery and came across an article which used ''men's monastery'' so I thought it was correct. Should I rephrase all the parts in yellow?

For contained: From early Church history and custom, the Mass was celebrated on the tombs of martyrs, either in the Catacombs, or on altars that contained relics of martyrs. St. Mary’s church has two reliquaries and an altar stone in a special box in the center of the altar.
Men's monasteries https://cloisteredlife.com/directory
Below knee skirts found here https://clothing.boden.co.uk/clothin...w-Knee-Dresses

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It has already been explained to you that mistakes are not explained. Corrections are explained.

The relics are kept (in a reliquary).

That's all for now.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It has already been explained to you that mistakes are not explained. Corrections are explained. Why do you have to repeat that? I haven't reasked. :)

The relics are kept (in a reliquary).

That's all for now.
In the previous thread in the last post I asked which parts/corrections are not clear.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The mistakes were marked but were not explained.

I agree with all the corrections.

St. Paul's speech converted thousands to Christianity.

As for the reasons for the corrections, it would be more reasonable to ask the person who made them if you want to know the reasons for them.

Teechar will probably be along later.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
So I did. I changed hundreds into thousands.
I asked the person of course, but he didn't reply. I hope someone will answer the questions in the last post later. I am talking about the previous thread.
Thanks anyway!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The visit to the church, where the relics of saint Antonios the patron saint of Veria are held, will introduce you to the city of Veria. Saint Paul's tribune, the place where his passionate speech converted to Christianity thousands of people.

Say:

The visit to the church, where the relics of Saint Antonios the patron saint of Veria are kept, will introduce you to the city of Veria, Saint Paul's tribune, the place where his passionate speech converted thousands of people to Christianity.
:roll:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I hope someone will answer the questions in the last post later. I am talking about the previous thread.
I read that a few times but couldn't make much sense of it. :) Are you talking about post #1 in this thread? If not, post the link to clarify which one you mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.