Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi everyone! I really need help in grammar and phrasing for my personal statement! Please help me out!
Thank you for your support in advance.

-------------------------------------

I am preparing for long time to get into the good college; Pepperdine University. I am assured that I want to achieve business education at Pepperdine. My father and few of my co-workers attended Pepperdine and, I want to become like them. I have been working at a law firm called Baker&McKenzie in Tokyo after graduating from International School of Sacred Heart. My experience in both places helped me to be ready to contribute to Pepperdine. I am going to accomplish and provide diverse perspectives that we each lack and grow together.
I wanted to change. When I was in high school, I did not favor studying. I was not appreciating education enough and I rather wished to work and experience in the "real world". Since I always had business especially marketing in my mind as my future career, and had interested in law, I challenged myself to apply for an internship in Business and Marketing department at Baker&McKenzie. It is been the most memorable accomplishment, contribution and experience in 10 years of my life. I absorbed countless things such as time, diversity and connection importance. I am confident that the ideas I assimilated would help me when I am learning at Pepperdine because I have broad views and ideas that many students do not have yet. My experience urged me to study business and law more. I have worked at different places but I believe that those two fields are my interests.
I met two Pepperdine alumnae at Baker&Mckenzie; a lawyer and a business coordinator. They made me aspire to attend Pepperdine more and become like one of them especially the Business Coordinator. My father also attended Pepperdine. What I am positive is that they are not just smart. They have independence and have individuality. They are also so confident and proud about themselves. I want to contribute by being one of the admirable representatives of Pepperdine.
Before I was employed at Baker&McKenzie, I attended International School of Sacred Heart. I was there for 10 years contributing to Christianity. Although, I am technically not a Christian, I have always believed in Christianity. Therefore, I want to continue being in a Christianity community and, contribute and develop my faith in god. Other than Christianity, I gained the essence of diversity at my school. Not only about nationalities but diversity in opinions and characters are what makes this world diverse. I can bring different views, Japanese traditions and cultures to Pepperdine.
Although I have plans and ideas about my future, it might change during college years. However, at this moment, I have my plans and dreams that makes me passionate about my life. Also I am certain that I want to attend Pepperdine. My diversity, passion, experience and perspectives will contribute to Pepperdine. At the same time, I will gain countless things that I could only gain in college and grow as a sophisticated person.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi everyone! I really need help in grammar and phrasing for my personal statement! Please help me out!
Thank you for your support in advance.

-------------------------------------

I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE]have been preparing for long time to get into [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE]a good college like Pepperdine University. I am [STRIKE]assured[/STRIKE]sure that I want to [STRIKE]achieve[/STRIKE]study business education at Pepperdine. My father and [STRIKE]few[/STRIKE]several of my co-workers attended Pepperdine. [STRIKE]and, I want to become like them.[/STRIKE] I have been working at a law firm, [STRIKE]called[/STRIKE] Baker & McKenzie in Tokyo [STRIKE]after[/STRIKE]since graduating from International School of Sacred Heart. My experience in both places has helped me to [STRIKE]be ready to contribute to Pepperdine.[/STRIKE] prepare for college. [STRIKE]I am going to accomplish and provide diverse perspectives that we each lack and grow together. [/STRIKE][STRIKE]I wanted to change.[/STRIKE] (I don't think you should suggest that you can improve Pepperdine).When I was in high school, I did not [STRIKE]favor[/STRIKE] enjoy studying. I [STRIKE]was not appreciating [/STRIKE]did not value education enough. [STRIKE]and I[/STRIKE] Rather, I wished to work in and experience [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] the "real world". Since I always had business, especially marketing, in my mind as my future career, and [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE]was also interested in law, I challenged myself to apply for an internship in the Business and Marketing department at Baker & McKenzie. It [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE]has been the most memorable accomplishment, [STRIKE]contribution[/STRIKE] ( only B & M can confirm whether it has been a "contribution") and experience in 10 years of my life. I [STRIKE]absorbed[/STRIKE]learned countless things such as time (?), diversity (?) and connection(?) importance (how does one learn time, diversity and connection?). I am confident that the [STRIKE]ideas[/STRIKE]information and skills I assimilated would help me [STRIKE]when I am learning [/STRIKE] studying at Pepperdine because I believe I have broad views and ideas that many students do not have yet. My experience [STRIKE]urged[/STRIKE]has prompted me to study business and law. [STRIKE]more.[/STRIKE] I have worked at different places but I believe that those two fields are my primary interests.
I met two Pepperdine alumnae at Baker & Mckenzie; a lawyer and a business coordinator. They made me aspire to attend Pepperdine [STRIKE]more [/STRIKE][STRIKE]and become like one of them especially the Business Coordinator.[/STRIKE] My father also attended Pepperdine. What I am positive about is that they are not just smart. They have independence and [STRIKE]have [/STRIKE]individuality. They are also so confident and proud [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE]of themselves. I want to contribute by being one of the admireable representatives of Pepperdine.
[STRIKE]Before I was employed at Baker & McKenzie, [/STRIKE]As I mentioned previously, I attended International School of Sacred Heart. I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE]studied there for 10 years, contributing to Christianity(? how did you contribute to Christianity?) . Although, I am [STRIKE]technically[/STRIKE] actually not a Christian, I have always believed in Christianity. Therefore, I want to continue being in a Christianity community and, contribute and develop my faith in God. Other than Christianity, I gained the essence of diversity at my school. Not only about nationalities but diversity in opinions and [STRIKE]characters[/STRIKE]individuals. [STRIKE]are what makes this world diverse.[/STRIKE] I can bring different views, including Japanese traditions and culture[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] to Pepperdine.
Although I have plans and ideas about my future, [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] I understand that they might change during college years. However, at this moment, I have my plans and dreams that make[STRIKE]s [/STRIKE]me passionate about my life. [STRIKE]Also[/STRIKE] I am certain that I want to attend Pepperdine. I am confident that my [STRIKE]diversity,[/STRIKE] passion, experience and perspectives will contribute to Pepperdine. At the same time, I will gain countless things that I could only gain in college and grow as a sophisticated person.

Some suggestions.

leia624

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Dear Billmcd

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS!!!!
It was so helpful and I really appriciate it.
You're an amazing teacher, even helping out others on the internet!

Again, Thank you so much!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.