Question on instructions for a listening exercise (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
Could you help me on number 5?

She knew her parents liked Hiroshi. He was a considerate man who had done well in his company and would look after Ikuko, their only daughter. Her friends liked him too –– he was kind and always ready to help anyone with a problem. Ikuko knew that she liked being with Hiroshi that he’d never made her feel unhappy for a moment. She couldn’t imagine her life without him. So why did the idea of marrying him seem like a door closing on the future?

1. Write down what she knew.
She knew her parents liked Hiroshi.
2. Write down what kind of man Hiroshi was and what he had accomplished.
He was a considerate man who had done well in his company.
3. Write down what Hiroshi would do.
He would look after Ikuko.
4. Write down who liked him too.
Her friends.
5. Write down ..... (Can I say again 'write down what kind of man he was'? Isn't too repetitive? Though the instructions have to be correlative. I'm very confused with this one.
He was kind and always ready to help anyone with a problem.

Thanks in advance

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,
Could you help me on number 5?

She knew her parents liked Hiroshi. He was a considerate man who had done well in his company and would look after Ikuko, their only daughter. Her friends liked him too –– he was kind and always ready to help anyone with a problem. Ikuko knew that she liked being with Hiroshi that he’d never made her feel unhappy for a moment. She couldn’t imagine her life without him. So why did the idea of marrying him seem like a door closing on the future?

1. Write down what she knew.
She knew her parents liked Hiroshi.
2. Write down what kind of man Hiroshi was and what he had accomplished.
He was a considerate man who had done well in his company.
3. Write down what Hiroshi would do.
He would look after Ikuko.
4. Write down who liked him too.
Her friends.
5. Write down ..... (Can I say again 'write down what kind of man he was'? Isn't too repetitive? Though the instructions have to be correlative. I'm very confused with this one.
He was kind and always ready to help anyone with a problem.

Thanks in advance

The problem you have, as I see it, is that the more advanced of your students might well write, in answer to number 2:

"He was a considerate and kind man and he had done well in his company."

If they have been listening carefully and have picked up on both pieces of information there is no reason why they shouldn't put both of them in answer to "Write down what kind of man Hiroshi was". That, unfortunately, leaves them nothing to answer number 5 with. Do they know that the questions go in the exact order of the audio piece?

I am veering towards suggesting "Write down if he was kind or unkind and what he was always ready to do" though that does feel like almost giving them the answer on a plate.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
The problem you have, as I see it, is that the more advanced of your students might well write, in answer to number 2:

If they have been listening carefully and have picked up on both pieces of information there is no reason why they shouldn't put both of them in answer to "Write down what kind of man Hiroshi was". That, unfortunately, leaves them nothing to answer number 5 with. Do they know that the questions go in the exact order of the audio piece? Yes, they do. The questions are numbered.

I am veering towards suggesting "Write down if he was kind or unkind and what he was always ready to do" though that does feel like almost giving them the answer on a plate. Even though, as you say, I'm almost giving them the answer on a plate, it isn't such a bad idea to have an easy one from time to time. They'll be happy to find the answer really quickly and they'll have the strength to go on;-).

Hi,
Thanks a lot for your reply.

Best,
L54

shannico

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I would suggest

Write down why they liked Hiroshi.

Hope it helps.

If they have been listening carefully and have picked up on both pieces of information there is no reason why they shouldn't put both of them in answer to "Write down what kind of man Hiroshi was". That, unfortunately, leaves them nothing to answer number 5 with. Do they know that the questions go in the exact order of the audio piece?

I am veering towards suggesting "Write down if he was kind or unkind and what he was always ready to do" though that does feel like almost giving them the answer on a plate.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I would suggest

Write down why they liked Hiroshi.

Hope it helps.

Hi Shan,
Thank you for this suggestion too. It really is another good point of view.

Best,
L54

Status
Not open for further replies.