Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
United States
I just came to the US and I'm always confused when people say can't and can
I don't know which word are they saying.

Can't has the t sound at the end, but most American people don't say that t sound. So they just say like Can'
so it's the same thing as can - the opposite word

and the important thing is i don't know to pronounce those 2 words exactly and sometimes I don't understand what they say either.

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
For ESL I suggest you say it like the English/British. This is for clarity and there is little chance that you will be misunderstood.

So say "can't" with an "a" as in "argue".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I just came to the US and I'm always confused when people say can't and can
I don't know which word are they saying.

Can't has the t sound at the end, but most American people don't say that t sound. So they just say like Can'
so it's the same thing as can - the opposite word

and the important thing is i don't know to pronounce those 2 words exactly and sometimes I don't understand what they say either.

Interesting observation. If you ask most Br Eng speakers - probably with the sole exception of people who have studied phonology - 'What's the difference between can and can't?' you'll get the answer 'One's got a t'. But what we really listen for to distinguish the two is the vowel sound. So follow mxreader's advice. Often, when a speaker of Am Eng says 'can't' I have to think twice about what I really heard (and whether one or the other makes more sense in the context - If an American seems to say 'Sorry, I can' I can guess [because of the 'Sorry'] that 'can't is the more likely of the two.

But on the last point you're wrong: there is an audible difference between [kæn] and [kænʖ], just as there is an audible difference in Br Eng between [kæn] and [ka:nʖ]. It's just that the difference, in Br Eng, doesn't depend on your hearing the [ʖ] - which is often an indistinct sound (but it's there, as a spectrograph would show).

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even native speakers have to stop someone to say "I'm sorry -- did you just say he can or he cannot?" from time to time. Context will often help, but not always. I agree that it can be very hard to hear the difference sometimes.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're not alone.

Status