Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
I just had this class and did not understand the answer that was given by the teacher. The other students all seemed to understand so I did not want to ask so I came here. :) Here is the text:

"They spent the whole dinner talking about the most unexpected and fascinating things. One could not really tell what they were talking about. Subjects would change in a strange flow of energy - in a secret way one (can - ought to - should) say - constantly spinning over all subjects, diving into one, drowning into one another."

Teacher said answer was *should* but I really can't understand why. My first choice would have been *would* or *might/could* but since they're not available I would select *can* even though it sounds a bit weird but I really can't see *should* in there. Can someone explain it to me? And also then explain why *should* is good but not *ought to*?

Thanks in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Welcome to the forum, Zancan. :hi:

It seems to me that you could use most of the modals there. I'd go for 'might' or 'could' first' - after that, heaven knows.'Should' would not be very high on my list. It seems rather a pointless exercise to me.

Next time this happens, be bold: ask the teacher to explain why s/he thinks one is correct and the others aren't

Zancan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Thank you 5jj (for the welcome and the answer).

I changed classes so I don't know the students nor the teacher yet so I felt shy, next time I'll ask her, yes. Especially since I kept thinking about it for two days (class was yesterday morning) until I decided to come here to see if I can get it out of my mind (next class will be another topic so I won't have the chance to get back to it but as you said, the exercise was a bit pointless in the end so I just shouldn't care :lol::lol:).

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As a way of specifying or correcting a phrase, we do use I should say, but it's not the only possible way of doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.