Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Puerto Rico
Hi, I am a translator and I am struggling to translate a sentence in English. My experience tells me that when I face problems of this sort, it's usually due to a grammar error in the source text, but I am not sure in this case.
The sentence is as follows:

"It seemed there was always another atrocity or murder of
a Catholic to protest.
"

It is part of an article that deals with the "Troubles" in Ireland. Could someone please tell me if this sentence is grammatically correct? I know I can say: "There was always another murder of a Catholic to protest", but I'm not sure I can say: "There was always another atrocity of a Catholic to protest". I would use "against" in this case. I know there is a rule in English that states you can use a single preposition with two verbs that have different prepositional regimen, but I don't know if the same is true when dealing with nouns, which is what I think the author did here.
The thing is I don't want to go crazy trying to find a suitable solution in Spanish before I make sure the English source is correct.
Thank you very much for the help.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Read it as:
"It seemed there was always another {atrocity} or {murder of a Catholic} to protest."

If you changed the word order, it would be clearer: "It seemed there was always another murder of
a Catholic or (some other) atrocity to protest.
"

jjimenez61

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Puerto Rico
Thanks for that take on the sentence 5jj. We have analyzed your answer and it helped us come up with a good solution.
Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.