I can see me better or I can see myself better

Status
Not open for further replies.

lalofas

Member Type
Other
I've seen the exression "I can see me better" .Taking into consideration that The subject and the object is the same, wouldn´t it be the right sentence "I can see myself better"?

What do you think?

Thank you

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've seen the exression "I can see me better" .Taking into consideration that The subject and the object is the same, wouldn´t it be the right sentence "I can see myself better"?

What do you think?

Thank you

Yes, I agree.

I can see myself in the mirror.
I can see myself in the reflection in the car window.
I can see myself better (now that I've cleaned the mirror!)

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've seen the expression "I can see me better". Taking into consideration that the subject and the object are the same person, wouldn't the correct sentence be "I can see myself better"?

What do you think? I agree with you; it should be "myself".

Thank you

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

What do you think?

Thank you

We use the reflexive pronoun when the subject of the sentence and the object of the verb are coreferent (they refer to the same thing).

I = subject; see x --> x = object; see who? see the referent of I; I = object --> subject and object refer to I --> they are coreferent --> use of reflexive pronoun; the approporiate form of reflexive in singular first person is 'myself' --> I can see myself better.

QED.

lalofas

Member Type
Other
Thank you very much for your answers and thanks specially to 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.