Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear Sir

What is the difference between Am and British style in writing dates?

Thanks

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
American: April 15, 2012 4/15/2012

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The major difference is in the order of the numbers when we only use numbers for the date. Barb's example above (4/15/2012) reads April 15th 2012 to her. To me, it's an impossible date because the middle number should be the month and there are not 15 months.

April 15th 2012 for me = 15/4/2012. It doesn't matter whether I say "April the fifteenth" or "The fifteenth of April", it's always 15/4.

As far as I know, the only date which is regularly used in the American construction in the UK (and I imagine in most of the world) is 9/11, just because that is how we have become used to hearing and seeing it for over ten years. However, if you showed that date written down to someone in the UK who had never heard of the World Trade Center disaster, they would tell you that something happened on the 9th of November.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Or even "4/15/12"

Good point. Same for BrE too. There are a variety of ways of showing, for example, April 7th 2012:

7/4/12
7/04/12 (this is very unlikely. If we put "07" for the day, we are likely to put "04" for the month.)
07/04/12

7/4/2012
07/4/2012 (same comment as above)
07/04/2012

When you're filling in an official form, it is likely to give you a good clue as to how they would like it completed. It will say something like:
Date of birth (DD/MM/YYYY), in which case you know they want 2 digits for the day, 2 digits for the month and all 4 for the year.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
This is why I like the East Asian convention: large/smaller/smallest: 2012/09/27. I think the reverse is part of the Metric system, based on French practice: 27/9/2012 (le 27 septembre 2012), which is also nice and rational. The other mixed forms, I have no idea why people still use them.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
2012 04 16 is also the Bill Gates convention. It came as an option in the first version of MS Word.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is why I like the East Asian convention: large/smaller/smallest: 2012/09/27. I think the reverse is part of the Metric system, based on French practice: 27/9/2012 (le 27 septembre 2012), which is also nice and rational. The other mixed forms, I have no idea why people still use them.

I can't quite fathom how 2012/09/27 fits into large/smaller/smallest. 27 is certainly not the smallest number of those three.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Y M D.

I can't quite fathom how 2012/09/27 fits into large/smaller/smallest. 27 is certainly not the smallest number of those three.

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for your good explanation. Interesting because we use the sama style as yours here in Iran.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
So longest, shorter, shortest then.
Right.
The Year (longest) followed by the month (shorter) followed by the day (shortest). The company I worked for tried to make this convention mandatory, but employees didn't adopt it and the result remains a mishmash of systems which often cause confusion and delay.

Status
Not open for further replies.