Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My name is Marie and I'm 20 y.o.
I am natural born American but I was raised in Japan until I was 14.
At that time I couldn't understand a single word in English.
it's been 6 years since I came in to United States, yet there are still times I struggle with English, grammar wise and Vocabulary wise.

Anyways, I am currently trying to apply to University or college and I'm having a hard time writing some formal letters or e-mails to the admissions. I am not very good at organizing what I want to write in English, especially in a professional way.

here are the some of the stuff I want to put in my letter:

• I did not finish high school, however I did get my school diploma at Adult Ed School.
-I'm not sure if its wise to explain them why i didn't finish my high school, but because my grades in high school was not very good and I had to move a lot state to state. I also had some family issues that I had to deal with.​

• I also want ask them some questions about requirements, costs,what are the process to apply, and other information about the school

I also not sure how does "applying for University" things works, so it will be great if someone could help me with both issues I'm dealing with right now...:/

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think you should be prepared to explain why you didn't earn a high school diploma. You also need to be willing to explain why you want to go to college and what you hope to accomplish there.

The college admissions office should be able to help you with the admissions process. If you have any questions, ask them.

You have some problems with your writing. Punctuation, for example. Let's see what we can do about that.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

My name is Marie, and I'm twenty years old. I'm a natural-born American, but I was raised in Japan until I was fourteen.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

At that time I couldn't understand a single word of English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

It's been six years since I came to the United States, but I still struggle with English, especially grammar and vocabulary.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi mariechell,
Welcome to the forum. :) :hi:
Try to have more confidence in your writing ability. I also suggest that you post your application letters to this sub-forum so that we can have a look at them for you.
Happy New Year, and I wish you good luck with your academic endeavours. :rainbowa:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Whether a person is going to college or university is not really an either_or question. Because no matter what the name of the institution if a person is a student there we say that individual is going to college there. For example, my brother went to college at MU for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.