What did she say ? (a listening problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEhDxSSb0Kk

At around 0:11, she said I've definitely let you in on some of the secrets over ? my second channel.

Her accent is very british and her articulation is brilliant. She seems to have a non-rhotic accent and so I was thinking whether she said "over to" and 'to' being weakened to a schwa?

Many Thanks if you can help

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Over on my second channel". We use "on" with TV channels and radio stations.

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
THANKS A LOT!
English listening is very difficult as I guess more often than not listeners have to fill in the gaps with their own knowledge of the language system?
Thanks again

Tedwonny

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
UK
May I also ask how would you describe her accent?
- Very british?
- Posh?
- London like?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She's certainly unmistakably British. She's not posh but she is very well-spoken most of the time. Initially, I thought she was from somewhere in the south-east of the country, possibly London or the Home Counties (Kent, Hampshire, Sussex, Surrey). However, I listened again a little more carefully and heard a very slight twang to some of the "r" sounds at the ends of words. I did a bit of digging (OK, I read the comments under the video) and discovered that she's from Bath, Wiltshire. So I was right about the south of the country but she's more south-west. She does not have a strong Wiltshire accent, though. My grandmother was from Wiltshire and a lot of what she said was incomprehensible to me when I was young!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.