Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
I cannot figure out where the parts of this sentence belong to.

"A lending crisis has hit the housing and constructions markets hard with all sectors accross the economy now suffering."

Does "constructions markets" belong to "housing" or if not what does "hard with ..." refer to?

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
I cannot figure out where the parts of this sentence belong to.

"A lending crisis has hit the housing and constructions markets hard with all sectors accross the economy now suffering."

Does "constructions markets" belong to "housing" or if not what does "hard with ..." refer to?

The housing sector is seperate to the construction sector. My brother is a Quantity Surveyor and the distinction he makes in conversation is that housing refers to building homes whereas construction refers to larger projects such as roadbuilding. I think that in America they would think of construction as referring to homes so I suspect this is a British reference originally. Though I maybe wrong about that, someone please correct me if I am.

Hard with, does not refer to anything, I think the sentence is better written with a comma between the hard and with.
"A lending crisis has hit the housing and constructions market hard, with all sectors across the economy now suffering"

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"A lending crisis has hit the housing and constructions markets hard."

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Sieve:

I agree with Mrfatso: "With all sectors across the economy now suffering" is not an essential part of the sentence. For the sake of analysis, let's forget it.

Your sentence, then, is: "A lending crisis has hit the house and constructions markets hard."

To what degree has it hit them?

Answer: hard (with great force).

I would parse "hard" as an adverb that modifies the verb "hit."

Compare: "I hit him hard."

James

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
MrFatso, you need to remember that we put a space after each full stop. Please click on "Edit Post" on your post (#2) and add the relevant spaces, then click Save.

Status
Not open for further replies.