[Grammar] What is a phrasal verb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aylaia Lala

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi, I'm not a teacher, just for those who may wonder. :lol: But I do have a question about "phrasal verbs". What exactly are phrasal verbs? I've come across the term a few times on this website. Maybe I'm naive here, but I've never heard this term before. :-? Could I please get some help with this? :)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A phrasal verb is a phrase that acts like a verb and usually comprised of a verb and a preposition, e.g. back up, fill in/fill out, get in, pick up. suggest you Google "phrasal verbs" for a more complete/descriptive definition and an exhaustive list.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A phrasal verb is a phrase that acts like a verb and usually comprised of a verb and a preposition, e.g. back up, fill in/fill out, get in, pick up. suggest you Google "phrasal verbs" for a more complete/descriptive definition and an exhaustive list.
Also phrasal verbs, either by themselves or with added words, are often idioms. Examples are 'hang out', 'back off', 'roll up your sleeves' and 'pull up your socks'.

For more phrasal verbs, click on "English Phrasal Verbs" at the top left of this page.

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
IMO, phrasal verb is a grammar jargon which means more to teachers of the English than the laymen. It's something which you use in your daily language which you don't know what it is called nor do you need to know. :)

not a teacher

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.