Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've been fighting with this sentence for 30 minutes now, rewriting it about six times. I can't read it objectively anymore. :-D

How does it sound to you? In particular the last part.

[FONT=&quot]It also depicts Frances Perkins who was the [FONT=&quot]US[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Secretary of Labor under President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the first woman appointed to the United States Cabinet, and who is buried in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maine[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]

Thank you.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've been fighting with this sentence for 30 minutes now, rewriting it about six times. I can't read it objectively anymore. :-D

[FONT=&quot]It also depicts Frances Perkins who was the [FONT=&quot]US[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Secretary of Labor under President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the first woman appointed to the United States Cabinet, and who is buried in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Maine[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT][/FONT]

Thank you.

It's trying to do too much, but try this.
It also depicts Frances Perkins, the U.S. Secretary of Labor under President Franklin D. Roosevelt and the first woman appointed to the United States Cabinet, who is buried in Maine.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Thank you.

How I'd write the sentence...

It also depicts Frances Perkins, the first woman appointed to the United States Cabinet as(?) Secretary of Labour under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who is buried in Maine.

(not sure if this helps, the buried in Maine kinda tanks the sentence a bit, good luck)

Not a teacher.
:)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
How I'd write the sentence...

It also depicts Frances Perkins, the first woman appointed to the United States Cabinet as(?) sorry no but good suggestion! :up: Secretary of Labour under President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who is buried in Maine.

(not sure if this helps, the buried in Maine kinda tanks the sentence a bit, good luck)

Not a teacher.
:)

Yeah that's what's giving me a headache. But I really need that in there. :-( I think Barb's suggestion will work. :up: Thank you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you know, it depends what you want to emphasize.

It depicts Frances Perkins, buried in Maine, who was appointed as U.S. Secretary of Labor under President Franklin D. Roosevelt and who has the distinction of being the first woman appointed to a Cabinet position.

(I don't think you need to repeat United States. Since she was the U.S. Secretary of Labor, it's obvious it was a U.S. Cabinet position. By the way, I looked it up in the AP Stylebook, and Cabinet should be capitalized, as you have it.)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As you know, it depends what you want to emphasize.

It depicts Frances Perkins, buried in Maine, who was appointed as U.S. Secretary of Labor under President Franklin D. Roosevelt and who has the distinction of being the first woman appointed to a Cabinet position.

(I don't think you need to repeat United States. Since she was the U.S. Secretary of Labor, it's obvious it was a U.S. Cabinet position. By the way, I looked it up in the AP Stylebook, and Cabinet should be capitalized, as you have it.)

The first version, with Maine at the end, works better for my argument.

Good point on not repeating U.S. I tried taking it out before but I couldn't decide. :-D

Thank you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm curious about the Maine connection. I lived there for 15 years. I miss it daily. Is this more about Maine or more about her? (Idle curiousity, nothing more.)

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Oddly, that helped me miss it a little less now.

Status
Not open for further replies.