Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
"He is dressed in a red suit." Is "dressed" a past participle but also an adjective in this sentence ?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Great question!

(1) A man here in the United States would never wear a red suit. In some neighborhoods, it would put his life in danger.
(2) Let me share with you what a book published in 1870 said. It is entitled German Comversation-Grammar by Emil

Otto. He was teaching German to English speakers. These are his words:

When you say: "The Lady is dressed," you do not mean to say: "They are dressing the lady" or "The lady is being

dressed." The meaning is rather: "The Lady is ready." The act of dressing is past: "dressed" therefore has the value of

an adjective.

Last edited:

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Birgit:

I have just found something in A Grammar of the English Language by the one and only Professor George O. Curme.

The great scholar tells us that "dressed" is an adjective in sentences such as these:

The woman is well-dressed.

The woman is beautifully dressed.

He says that the participle "dressed" is stressed. That is, when you say it aloud, say the word "dressed" more strongly

than you do the other words.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Excuse my ignorance, The Parser, by why on earth would wearing a red suit put someone's life in danger?! I have a feeling I know what you're alluding to (in which case I can perhaps understand why wearing a pink suit might be relevant) but if I'm wrong, I can't imagine what the problem with a red suit would be. Is the neighbourhood full of bulls? ;-)

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you are 100% correct about the pink suit. (For our learner friends, the color pink is sometimes associated with gay people.)
Regarding a red suit, you would also stand out as unusual. And in some American neighborhoods that are full of less than refined people, you would be the target of ruffians. I am sure (yes, "sure") that this happens in all cultures. (I imagine that a man dressed in a red suit would not be bothered only if he were among the upper classes.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, you are 100% correct about the pink suit. (For our learner friends, the color pink is sometimes associated with gay people.)
Regarding a red suit, you would also stand out as unusual. And in some American neighborhoods that are full of less than refined people, you would be the target of ruffians. I am sure (yes, "sure") that this happens in all cultures. (I imagine that a man dressed in a red suit would not be bothered only if he were among the upper classes.)

Intriguing! I agree that a red suit is probably not the norm in many places but I didn't realise it would be seen as such a rarity. The best thing about your explanation is the use of the word "ruffians", a word I don't think I've seen used for decades but which is extremely evocative!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:down: Bulls are colour-blind - but you probably know that. The quote is about a very hostile reaction on grounds of fashion-sense. It is hyperbolic (not hyperbulic) ;-). [Students: don't bother looking that last 'word' up - it was a (rather weak :oops:) joke.]

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:down: Bulls are colour-blind - but you probably know that. The quote is about a very hostile reaction on grounds of fashion-sense. It is hyperbolic (not hyperbulic) ;-). [Students: don't bother looking that last 'word' up - it was a (rather weak :oops:) joke.]

b

That's true. I did know that about bulls. In fact, having lived in Madrid for 18 months, I know more about bull-fighting than I ever wanted to.

I don't think I'd like to live somewhere where you can receive a hostile reaction simply due to your fashion sense. I'm lucky to live where I do by the sounds of it, or I'd spend my life fending off ruffians!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This thread has taken a very interesting turn.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I can't see why, as a rule, someone in the U.S. would not wear a suit of any color, red or pink or otherwise (other than commiting some fashion faux pas). I know of "gang colors" where, if you wore a certain type of smaller item (scarf, hoodie, jacket) in a "rival color", that would be significant, but that's not the same as wearing a suit in that color, IMO.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This thread has taken a very interesting turn.

Consider my wrist slapped! :oops:

But there is a point to be made about traditional British culture here. While, within that culture, women could wear whatever they want (as long, as the lady said, as it 'doesn't frighten the horses'), a man's suit 'should' be black, dark grey, or very dark blue. Brown or white is pushing the bounds of acceptability. Pale blue and purple are beyond the pale. A red suit is a mortal sin. ;-) [This is still a digression though; over and out.]

b

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, IMO a "pink suit" being somehow "gay" is rather passe. Though it is true that pink is associated with the gay community (both positive and negative), pink is no longer verboten.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Birgit,

(1) I have been googling like mad ( = as if I were crazy) and have found "the" answer. Just as Billmcd said, it appears

to be an adjective.

(2) Here are three entries from very reputable online dictionaries that list it as an adjective -- just as you and Billmcd said:

She was dressed in a black suit. (Macmillan Dictionary)

He was dressed in a dark grey ["gray" in the United States] suit. (Cambridge Dictionary)

She was dressed in a two-piece suit. (Longman Dictionary)

Thanks for the great question! I learned a lot!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
pink is no longer verboten.

In my very humble opinion, I beg to disagree. You would be doing your son a great (fatal?) disservice to send him into

"certain" neighborhoods in "certain" American cities while wearing anything pink. I guess that we had better stop this

discussion, for I detect a moderator getting ready to push the delete or closed button.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps I'm seeing the world through rose colored glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.