Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I just sold a printer to a customer, and the customer is asking me about sensitive details, he said:

Just curious, where did you get the printer ABC and how much did you get it?

I am not very keen to reveal it, how can I politely answer his questions without offending him?

Thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You just sold an item to somebody and they're asking where you got it and how much you paid for it?

That's a bit brazen.

I would answer with a laugh and something like "Why? Are you trying to cut out the middleman?"

goodstudent

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
He may be trying to cut out the middleman, but I think he is just curious. He is inquiring on more similar products and I do not want to lose him, as he might be a new regular customer.

How can I politely reject him? Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.

I thought of saying something vague and hope he will not ask more, maybe something like:
(not sure what is the correct way of saying, here are some points I thought of, not sure if it is right)

- Due to privacy reasons, or business confidential?

- The process is complicated ...

- This is a trade secret and I would not be keen...

- I spent a lot of time an effort to get printer ABC, so I would like to keep it confidental, please excuse me.

- I spent a lot of time an effort to get printer ABC, the process is rather complicated and I would not be keen to reveal/keep it private/incovenient to explain it.

-----
Here is his email:

Thanks for the transaction.

Just out of curiosity,

How much did you purchase this printer for? How did you get it?

Do you have any other printers that have ABC function?

-----

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would just say that you aren't at liberty to discuss as that is confidential information.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you want to sound polite but a little friendly too, how about "A good businessman never reveals his secrets, I'm afraid""? It's not a set phrase but makes sense. You could follow it up with something like "Don't worry, though, I can get more if you need them." which might encourage another order.

BobSmith

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I would take a slightly different tack. I would vaguely answer one question, and just skip answering the other:

I can assure you that my suppliers are highly reputable. If you have any trouble with the product, I am happy to make an exchange. Thanks for your purchase and let me (us?) know if I (we?) can provide any further products for you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think they're just trying to find out how much profit you made! Also, if you tell them where you bought it, they can just go there and buy it themselves if the place is willing to trade with private individuals.

I work in a shop and a few customers have openly asked us what our markup is on items. We stand by the "That's confidential" reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.