Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello there, teachers.

Would you mind pointing out the errors in my sentences and fixing them. I'd appreciate it.

Due to a potential economic collapse that could ensue from the pandemic, the government has devised a scheme in order to shore up the health sector by providing a substantial endowment to medical centers. The plan will set in motion once the outbreak has been entirely eradicated.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello there, teachers.

Would you mind pointing out the errors in my sentences and fixing them. I'd appreciate it.

Due to [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the potential economic collapse that could [STRIKE]ensue[/STRIKE] result from the pandemic, the government has devised a scheme [STRIKE]in order[/STRIKE] to shore up the health sector by providing a substantial endowment to medical centers. The plan will be set in motion once the outbreak has been entirely eradicated.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please see my suggested changes above. You don't really need "potential" and "could" - they have the same effect on the sentence. I'd remove "potential".

Twist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thanks, teacher. Why does ensue not work in my first sentence?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks. [STRIKE]teacher.[/STRIKE] Why does "ensue" not work in my first sentence?

Apologies. I meant to explain why I had changed that. Technically, "ensue from" is OK. However, in BrE at least, it's usually used intransitively. I would change the word order in order to use it.

Due to the pandemic, and the economic collapse that could ensue, the government has devised a scheme ...

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Twist

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]Thx[/STRIKE] Thanks a ton.

Please don't use non-standard abbreviations such as "thx" on the forum. Use complete words. Also, there is no need to write a new post to thank anyone. Simply click on the "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful. It saves time for everyone. (Don't worry if you can't see the "Thank" and "Like" buttons yet - they should appear after you have made ten public posts.)

Status
Not open for further replies.