Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"The sky being clear of clouds, an astronomer carried out further observations."

OR

"The sky having cleared of clouds, the astronomer continued observations."

Would please grade this sentences and say how natural and correct they are?

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
"The sky being clear of clouds, an astronomer carried out further observations."

OR

"The sky having cleared of clouds, the astronomer continued observations."

Would please grade this sentences and say how natural and correct they are?

♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
This is what I think is fine and natural (solely to me, of course):
The sky being clear of clouds, the astronomer continued further observation.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
♥♦♣♠ NOT A TEACHER ♥♦♣♠
This is what I think is fine and natural (solely to me, of course):
Guess it would be clear from the context that first the sky was clear of clouds and than he observed the sky, if I said "being clear" not "having cleared"?

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Guess it would be clear from the context that first the sky was clear of clouds and than he observed the sky, if I said "being clear" not "having cleared"?

The phrase sky + (having) cleared of clouds is something that I cannot tell you whether or not it is okay to say so. If I were to pick a verb to match sky, I'd go for The sky having cleared (up), the astronomer... .
In either case, it would imply the same thing - the sky was clear again when the astronomer carried on with his observation.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The phrase sky + (having) cleared of clouds is something that I cannot tell you whether or not it is okay to say so. If I were to pick a verb to match sky, I'd go for The sky having cleared (up), the astronomer... .
Would there be a difference "the sky being clear" or "the sky having cleared" in meaning?

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Would there be a difference "the sky being clear" or "the sky having cleared" in meaning?

Not much, no. Sky + the adjective clear = state; sky + the verb clear = process leading to the state of being something (ie being clear).

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Not much, no. Sky + the adjective clear = state; sky + the verb clear = process leading to the state of being something (ie being clear).

Even if the sky first was dark and then cleared up, there would not be much difference. What would you say?

Last edited:

engee30

Key Member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
England
Even if the sky first was dark and then cleared up, there would not be much difference. Waht would you say?

No, there wouldn't. It must be obvious that the sky should have been dark or overcast or whatever before it got clear again when saying either the sky being clear or the sky having cleared.
The core meaning of such a sentence is that the astronomer's observation is continued thanks to the fact that weather conditions have improved.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
No, there wouldn't. It must be obvious that the sky should have been dark or overcast or whatever before it got clear again when saying either the sky being clear or the sky having cleared.
The core meaning of such a sentence is that the astronomer's observation is continued thanks to the fact that weather conditions have improved.

Could I have used the indefinite article with "astronomer"?

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If you were to choose, would you choose "beibg......" or "having cleared....."?

Can I say "carry out further observation"?

Why would JMurray delete a post? It was here while I was writing mine. Now it's gone.

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia

Why would JMurray delete a post? I was here while I was writing mine. Now it's gone. It needed a tweak.

Here's a scenario in which the indefinite article is feasible, not highly likely but feasible. The writer is observing a number of people going about their activities in a park. I don't think "further" adds anything so I hope you don't mind if I delete it for my version.

"It had been overcast for several minutes but eventually the wind picked up and the early evening light improved for a few moments. A young boy flew his kite one last time, a tired jogger headed for home and, the sky being clear of clouds, an astronomer continued his observation of the darkening sky".
OR
".. the sky having cleared of clouds, an astronomer continued his observation..".

If you were to choose, would you choose "being......" or "having cleared....."?
To reinforce the point that the astronomer had stopped observing for a while and then started again I might go for "the sky having cleared of clouds" or just "the sky having cleared", it's the flow of events.

not a teacher

Status
Not open for further replies.