Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

It is obvious that this was merely a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. There was no real clearing up of the outstanding debt. (Th= Dreiser, “The Financier”)

rob Peter to play Paul = borrow from one to lend to other

Thanks for your efforts.

Regard,

V

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

It is obvious that this was merely a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. There was no real clearing up of the outstanding debt. (Th= Dreiser, “The Financier”)

Rob Peter to [STRIKE]play[/STRIKE] pay Paul = borrow from one to lend to another

Thanks for your efforts.

Regard,

V

Yes.

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi emsr 2d2,

I have the great pleasure to express my sincere appreciation for your well-judged amendments.

Thank you for your kindness.

V.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd like to offer a slight clarification to this.

You are not borrowing from someone to lend money to someone else, but to pay off money you already owe to them.

The idea is that, while you have cleared one debt you owe, because you borrowed money from elsewhere to do so, you are still as in debt as you were at the start; so you have achieved nothing.

It's like taking out a new credit card to pay off the debt on one you already have.

You could probably also use it where "Peter" and "Paul" were neither real people nor companies, but different "pots" of your own money, for instance using the money you have saved up to pay the electricity bill to pay the water rates - you will still need to find money from somewhere to pay the electricity bill when it arrives.

Last edited:

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Tullia,

I agree without reservation your clarification of the phrase in question.

Thank you for your kindness.

V.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, you're absolutely right. In the majority of cases, you would be borrowing money in order to pay back a debt, rather than to lend it someone else. Good point.

Reactions: vil
Status
Not open for further replies.