Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Austria
In some movies military guys say "niner" when they read some numbers, is it military slang for "nine"?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not slang as you think of slang. When people are speaking on the radio, they say things differently to make it clear what was just said. "Niner" cannot be confused with "one" in a static-filled transmission. They don't say "A, B, C" either; it's Alpha, Bravo, Charlie.

alikim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Austria
it's fascinating, thanks!

do they have special words for the whole alphabet and all numbers?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In some movies military guys say "niner" when they read some numbers, is it military slang for "nine"?
Those of us who once wore a uniform and try to give the impression that we single-handedly beat the Nazis (or Commies or Terrorists or whatever) tend to throw in the occasional 'fower' (4) and 'fife' (5) as well as 'niner' (9)

ps. sorry, Barb - I missed your post and its useful link. Even when I was saving the world, I never had to say 'tree' (3). In fact, though the site you link to is interesting and largely accurate, I am not sure about its total authority. It does not, for example, mention 'emma' for 'E'. Those of us (Brits) who grew up in the 1950s reading the already dated Biggles books knew that 'a.m'. was 'ack emma'

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I never talk that way for numbers. For letters, it comes in very handy. Except when I couldn't remember Kilo for K,so I said Potassium instead. True story.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I never talk that way for numbers. For letters, it comes in very handy. Except when I couldn't remember Kilo for K,so I said Potassium instead. True story.
So, Barb, when you spell out 'thick', you say, "Tango, Hotel, India, Charlie, Potassium".

Right.

I will refrain from comments about 'Gracie Allen' logic, and quietly depart.....

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, it was "K as in... " and I couldn't think of "Kilo" so I said the first thing I associate with the letter K. Sadly, the person I was doing this with on the phone didn't even bat an eye.

I'm not sure Gracie thought in terms of the periodic table much.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Actually, it was "K as in... " and I couldn't think of "Kilo" so I said the first thing I associate with the letter K. Sadly, the person I was doing this with on the phone didn't even bat an eye. .
One question (and I am not being deliberately awkward here - for a change!).
I know the expression only as 'bat an eyelid'. My ALD says that AmE is 'bat an eye'. Can you confirm this, please?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, bat an eye, bat an eyelid, bat an eyelash -- all the same. Show no emotional response.

Reactions: 5jj

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I will refrain from comments about 'Gracie Allen' logic, and quietly depart.....
Have you just made a reference to a female American comedian? ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status
Not open for further replies.