Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What is "reconcile your expectation with reality"? It seems to contradict the previously said "lower your expectation" by implying "you have to lower your expectation", but I guess it's to harmonize your expectation with reality by accepting hardships, Am I right?

ex)Being happy means that you realize that there are times you will be unhappy and recognize that life sometimes stinks. What's uplifting in those times is appreciating life and facing the challenges that come with it, realizing that you're facing challenges fellow humans have also faced. We're not saying you should lower your expectations for your so-called perfect life or downsize your goal; we just believe that if you can reconcile your expectation with reality a little more by expecting to face challenges, you'll be better off in the end.

Rolex_Cellini

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Afghanistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
What is "reconcile your expectation with reality"? It seems to contradict the previously said "lower your expectation" by implying "you have to lower your expectation", but I guess it's to harmonize your expectation with reality by accepting hardships, Am I right?

ex)Being happy means that you realize that there are times you will be unhappy and recognize that life sometimes stinks. What's uplifting in those times is appreciating life and facing the challenges that come with it, realizing that you're facing challenges fellow humans have also faced. We're not saying you should lower your expectations for your so-called perfect life or downsize your goal; we just believe that if you can reconcile your expectation with reality a little more by expecting to face challenges, you'll be better off in the end.

We are not saying ... lower your expectations

"Reconcile your expectations with reality" means not to bite big and not to bite small. Think realistically when you set your goals. Do not aim high and shoot low, and vice versa.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Don't be over-optimistic and expect setbacks and difficulties along the way.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Don't be over-optimistic and expect setbacks and difficulties along the way.

But is he saying they have to lower their expectation or at least make a little adjustment like Rolex_Cellini said? I think it's ,as you said, you have to take obstables and setbacks while trying to achieve your goal. So it's not related to lowering your goal in my humble opinion.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with you- I think he's saying that you should keep your objective but expect some problems and difficulties.

Status
Not open for further replies.