Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I asked a teacher with a PhD in the English language to tell me what the problem with the following sentence is, he said, "It seems correct to me." However, in the booklet it says one of the underlined parts is incorrect. Therefore, no key answer available. So, which one of the following underlined parts needs to be corrected, please?

"Some of us have to study their lessons more carefully if we expect to pass this examination."

P.S.: This is not homework, honestly.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I asked a teacher with a PhD in the English language to tell me what the problem with the following sentence is, he said, "It seems correct to me." However, in the booklet it says one of the underlined parts is incorrect. Therefore, no key answer available. So, which one of the following underlined parts needs to be corrected, please?

"Some of us have to study their lessons more carefully if we expect to pass this examination."

The sentence seems fine to me. Possibly someone objected using "their" as a singular pronoun. But that is very common.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I don't like the combination of "us" and "their", and I think "study ... lessons" is clunky.

Some people have to study more carefully if they expect to pass this examination.
Some of us have to study more carefully if we expect to pass this examination.
Some of us have to pay more attention in our lessons if we expect to pass this exam.
Some people have to pay more attention in their lessons if they expect to pass this exam.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To me, 'some of us' is only correct if followed by 'our lessons'.

Status
Not open for further replies.