What do "metro-ish" and "the Verge" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Context:

Maybe it's just me, but I think the layout is a little too "metro-ish".

Neowin, Ars, MaximumPC, ZDNet etc. have a simple, chronological layout, which is easy to browse.

The Verge's homepage is seriously busy.

I posted something similar to this on The Verge website, but have yet to see it appear in the comments.

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
* Not a teacher

The only thing that crosses my mind is that "metro" is a shortened form for "metro-sexual". I think that, in your context, "fancy", "stylish" or even "complicated (meaning that the page is too complex, has a lot of elements and it is kind of hard to use)" would be the most appropriate synonyms.

"The Verge" is an American website (technology news). You can read more about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Verge_(website)

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: They're web-sites; and the words sometimes have the specific meanings used in discussions of Graphical User Interfaces (GUIs). For example, 'The Verge's homepage is seriously busy' "busy" means 'visually cluttered - with lots of graphics maybe, possibly several fonts, a mixture of graphics styles... so that it takes a long time to load and the user doesn't know what to do next' - it doesn't mean the same as 'busy' as it might be used in a case like 'Ask a Teacher is a busy forum'.

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think a lot of newspapers have a "metro" section, which might contain news items specific to the centre of town or something similar, or perhaps listings for things to do etc. Perhaps the metro section of newspapers all have a similar style and the writer was saying that the layout of whatever he/she was talking about, is too similar to that style.

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Got it.
Thank you all

Status