Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
and the most convenient was to get there is go by foot

Hi everybody! I was discussing with my english teacher about my e-mail. He said that we can't use "go by foot" and we should use "go on foot". I would like to know if both of them are correct on grammar, and if native speakers use both on talks. TIA!

Last edited by a moderator:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi everybody! I was discussing with my English teacher about my e-mail. He said that we can't use "go by foot" and we should use "go on foot". I would like to know if both of them are correct on grammar, and if native speakers use both on talks. TIA!

I have moved your post to a new thread and retitled it. We don't say "go by foot".

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
NOT A TEACHER

I will only add that saying "[STRIKE]go by foot[/STRIKE]" is a common mistake among learners of English. The reason is that the learners think that if you, for example, can say "go somewhere by car/plane/taxi etc." it means that you always state the means of transportation after "by" and thus "[STRIKE]go by foot[/STRIKE]" is possible. Sadly for us learners, while that works with machinery, it does not work with feet. Btw. a useful alternative to "go somewhere by foot" is simply saying "walk somewhere".

Status
Not open for further replies.