Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Which version is better?
A.

My estimation is that Mr. "M" will agree now to any diplomatic move, even as far as withdrawing his demand for a…, if only for the sake of climbing down the tree with preserving his dignity.

B.

My estimation is that Mr. "M" will agree now to any diplomatic move, even as far as withdrawing his demand for a…, if only for the sake of climbing down the tree honorably.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which version is better?
A.

My estimation is that Mr. "M" will agree now to any diplomatic move, even as far as withdrawing his demand for a…, if only for the sake of climbing down the tree with preserving his dignity.

B.

My estimation is that Mr. "M" will agree now to any diplomatic move, even as far as withdrawing his demand for a…, if only for the sake of climbing down the tree honorably.

Neither are natural English.

In sentence A, a better choice would be "... climbing down the tree with his dignity intact".

In sentence B, I just don't think we would say that you can climb down a tree honourably.

You might be better just saying "climb down" and forgetting the tree. ;-)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Neither is natural; nor is the expression 'climbing down the tree'. How about something like: "...if only so that he can make concessions without losing face"?

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Please, tell me your opinion about the following version:

My estimation is that Mr. "M" will agree now to any diplomatic move, even as far as reversing his demand for a…, if only for the sake of withdrawing his position without humiliating himself.

And about this sentence:

They've just encouraged Mr. "M" to entrench more deeply into his position

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.