Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Why do people say btdubs instead of btw?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
An augmentation of abbreviation btw (by the way). The 'Dubs' portion of the term refers to the initial sound of the letter W: 'double'. Double is then shortened to dubs, because that's street.
Urban Dictionary: bt dubs

yanx

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
An augmentation of abbreviation btw (by the way). The 'Dubs' portion of the term refers to the initial sound of the letter W: 'double'. Double is then shortened to dubs, because that's street.
Urban Dictionary: bt dubs

Thanks! But do you mean that btdubs should be used in informal situation, 'cause you said it is street?

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
I didn't say it is street, I merely quoted definition #3 from Urban Dictionary. I don't think "bt dubs" should be used at all as a matter fact. I had no idea what it meant until I looked it up in the Urban Dictionary.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I didn't know it, but think it has some appeal, though I doubt it will last long as it's longer than the original.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd never heard of it until today but then I don't generally hang around with people who talk "street"! I don't know many people who actually say "bee tee double you" to mean "btw". I use it all the time in text messages and emails but I'm not sure I've ever said it out loud. It's actually faster to say "By the way" (three syllables as opposed to five!)

Status
Not open for further replies.