Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I would like to know if there is an idiom about getting aged badly that's not proportional to the real age?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure what you're asking. But one possibility comes to mind; it is based on the idiom 'n [years old] coming on n + 1'. For example a child who is '10 going on 11' will have their 11th birthday soon. I think there was a song in The Sound of Music with the title "I am 16 going on 17" - that is, I know there's a song, but I'm not sure of the show.

A girl who is in a hurry to be seen as a grown woman is sometimes said to be, say. '6 going on 16'. (I first heard this about 30 years ago, but I've heard variations quite often since then).

b

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are you asking about somebody who looks older than they really are?

If so, you can say that they have 'aged poorly/badly/terribly/horribly', or that they 'haven't aged well' (slightly more tactful).

We also speak of 'holding your age' - if somebody 'holds their age well', they look younger than they are. If they looker older than their actual age, you can say they 'haven't aged well'.

One other way is to say that somebody 'looks X years older" or 'looks X' where X represents a number much higher than their actual age.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You might be interested to know that the word is spelt "age​ing" in BrE.

Sepmre

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Such a detailed answer. Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.