will and will be -ing

• Thread starter Student X
  • Start date
  • Views : 2,193
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Student X

In my grammar book, it states the form ("will be + -ing") can be used to indicate future tense. For example:
"The school will be starting soon."

I read the explanation already, but I still cannot make out the difference betwee it and "The school will start soon." Could you give me a hand, please? :)

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In my grammar book, it states the form ("will be + -ing") can be used to indicate future tense. For example:

I read the explanation already, but I still cannot make out the difference betwee it and "The school will start soon." Could you give me a hand, please? :)

There is no difference in meaning.
The future progressive tense is used to indicate action which will be taking place at some time in the future, but it can at times be replaced by simple future(will) or simple future(be going to) and present progressive, all expressing a future action to take place after some time (here-soon.

The school will be starting soon.
The school will start soon.".
The school is going to start soon.
The school is starting soon.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

As your grammar book states, "will be + ing" can be used as the future tense. Consequently, there is no difference in meaning between:

School will start soon.
School will be starting soon.

To add to the confusion, the present continuous can also be used to indicate the future, thus adding another possibility:

School is starting soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.