Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Italy
Hi. This is my first post. I am interested in using good EFL video material with my 13-19 year old students. Please recommend any good sites or other sources for this. Thank you for reading

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"Fawlty Towers" is a very good English comedy series from the 1970s that I've used from time to time. You might be able to download it from somewhere. Scenes with Manuel the waiter, who is learning English, often work well.
-Martin

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What levels are they?

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Fawlty Towers is good for intermediate and above. Though I have used them with lower intermediate. You just have to play the video a few more times. One great exercise is to first play a scene without sound and get your students to make up their own dialogue and act it out over the silent video. When they've finished, play them the clip with sound.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My younger teenagers like Harry Potter for homework. For the 18 - 19 year olds, I recommend a course of lessons based on The IT Crowd. I have written lessons for every episode of all 4 seasons, and the lessons can be found (free of charge) here

English Video Lessons - Skype Lessons

The shows are available for free on the channel 4 youtube channel. Let them watch the episode and do the exercises from my website for homework. Then discuss the episode in class (retell the plot and discuss new vocab, grammar and themes). This has pulled my pre-intermediates into the upper intermediate category. Their reactions became twice as fast in a few months of watching 1 episode for every homework.

I hope they like them as much as my teenagers did.

Happy Teaching!

Status
Not open for further replies.